cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AntE
Contributor

Forcing External Network Feed Checks

Hello there!

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to force a gateway to check a configured External Network Feed before the next scheduled Check. For instance, if the feed object is configured with the default 60 minute check interval, and there was an update to the feed that occurred in between checks that we wished to be enforced immediately, is there a way to force the gateway to perform an ad hoc feed check? In our case, the gateway and management environment are running R81.20.

I apologize if this topic has already been covered, or if my question is posted in the wrong location, but I haven't seen anything in the documentation, and I couldn't find anything posted about this topic in the forums.

Thank you!

(1)
13 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Very good question actually. Personally, Im not aware of any way to do so, but I could be mistaken.

Andy

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Legend Legend
Legend

Pretty sure this command will do what you want:

$FWDIR/bin/ioc_feeder -f

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
AntE
Contributor

Ok, thank you very much for the information!

I did run across this in the sk132193 - What is the "Custom Intelligence Feeds" feature? article, but I wasn't sure if it would work with an External Network Feed configuration. I'll test it to see if it works.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

It does work, I tested it in the lab. I thought maybe you can do this from smart console object, but does not appear to be the case. Ostencibly, that was my impression, but been some time since I "fiddled" with it in smart dashboard : - )

AntE
Contributor

Interesting, I did some testing yesterday and wasn't able to get it to work. I also tried the "Test Feed" button on the SmartConsole Feed object just in case that would run a feed check, but that didn't seem to work for me either.

Here's what I did:

1. Before any changes to the feed file on the web server, I performed a "Feed Test" of the feed object in the SmartConsole to confirm that the our POC was still working. The test was successful.
  2. I ran dynamic_objects -efo {Name Of Feed} on the gateway and confirmed the returned results matched what was publish on the feed server's web page.
  3. I ran tail -f -n 20 {Name Of Feed} $FWDIR/log/efo_error.elg on the gateway to determine when the next scheduled feed check would occur. Next scheduled check wasn't for another 30 mins or so.
  4. I added a new IP to the feed file on the web server and browsed to the feed to verify that the updates were published.
  5. I ran $FWDIR/bin/ioc_feeder -f on the gateway.
  6. I ran dynamic_objects -efo {Name Of Feed} on the gateway and confirmed that the new IP added to the feed page was not present in the gateway output.
  7. I performed a "Feed Test" of the feed object in the SmartConsole. The test was successful.
  8. I ran dynamic_objects -efo {Name Of Feed} on the gateway and confirmed that the new IP added to the feed page was not present in the gateway output.
  9. After about 30 mins or so, I ran tail -f -n 20 {Name Of Feed} $FWDIR/log/efo_error.elg on the gateway to confirm if the gateway performed its scheduled feed check. It had.
  10. I ran dynamic_objects -efo {Name Of Feed} on the gateway and confirmed that the new IP added to the feed page was present in the gateway output.

I'm not sure if my testing procedures are correct, or if maybe I messed something up, so I'm planning to test again today to see if the results are the same.

Anyway, thank you very much for testing and the information! 😄

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Those look right to me.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

You can also do below.

Andy

[Expert@R82:0]# /opt/CPsuite-R82/fw1/bin/ioc_update_now
Update Success
[Expert@R82:0]#

AntE
Contributor

Sweet! I'll try this out later this afternoon.

Thank you!

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Let us know the results.

Andy

0 Kudos
AntE
Contributor

Hello again, Andy!

I tested using /opt/CPsuite-R81.20/fw1/bin/ioc_update_now just a bit ago, and while I got the "Update Successful" message, I didn't see the feed updates in the dynamic_objects -efo {Name Of Feed} gateway output.

Looking at the efo_error.elg logs on the gateway, I see the following repeat during every scheduled feed check:

[Timestamp][PCC_Internal_Feed]: EFO_FEED> get_domain_from_url: called with URL {Feed Name}/
[Timestamp][PCC_Internal_Feed]: EFO_FEED> get_domain_ips: called with name {Feed Name}
[Timestamp][PCC_Internal_Feed]: EFO_FEED> validate_feed_url: resolved feed URL is {Feed IP}/

I'm wondering if there is a way to manually kick off the EFO_FEED> get_domain_from_url and EFO_FEED> get_domain_ips processes.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Hey,

I can do some more tests in the lab Sunday and let you know. Personally, to me at least, if you think about it logically, sounds like whatever scripts are in $FWDIR/bin is what is available, but I could be mistaken, would not be first OR last time haha

Andy

0 Kudos
AntE
Contributor

Ok, yeah that makes sense. I'll do some more testing as well.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help with all of this!

(1)
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Glad we can help.

Have a nice weekend.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events