Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sebasnqn
Contributor
Jump to solution

Core goes 100% when uploading a file to Sharepoint site

Hello All!

Few days ago we detect a core going to 100% with no apparently reason.

We check it using cpview -> CPU -> Top-Connections and discover that was one computer reaching some IP. 

I reach the user and he explain was uploading a 42Gb file to a Sharepoint suppliers site for some specific work.

cpu.png

We check the distribution of cores using fw affinity, and apparently CPU 16 is taking care of several interfaces.

fw affinity.png

FW is part of a ClusterXL.

Blades: fw vpn cvpn urlf av appi ips identityServer SSL_INSPECT anti_bot ThreatEmulation mon.

We are concern because this was generated by one user, and we want to get ahead in case more users start doing things like this.

Probably someone all ready had this issue before and have some recommendations.

¿Is there a way to "adjust" this procces/connection? Meaning, is recommended to set manually the distribution of cores for the interfaces? how?

We could set a  drop rule to that user to that IP, could it work? Or the CPU will keep reaching 100% (we didn't test it). 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Based on those outputs 6 instances with a static 2/6 CoreXL split should be appropriate, then you can re-assess.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

(1)
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Here is the page from my Gateway Performance Optimization Course detailing the "secret" commands, for anyone else reading this please heed the warnings about not using these commands on production systems that don't support them.  Use at your own risk! 

The first circled command force-enables Dynamic Split, while the latter two enable Hyperflow even if the required minimum number of cores is not present.  The firewall will need to be rebooted for these commands to take effect.

dynsplit.png

View solution in original post

23 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Your code version and Jumbo HFA?  Looks like Dynamic Split/Workloads is not active.

You are experiencing what I called the "core crunch" in the third edition of my Max Power book (pages 214-215).  You are only licensed for 8 cores (really 4 physical cores w/ SMT) yet you have 8 firewall worker instances defined.  So essentially many cores are pulling double duty as both SNDs & Workers in basically an 8/8 CoreXL split.  This is very bad for performance as you have experienced.

You probably need to run cpconfig and reduce the number of firewall worker instances from 8 to 6 so that one of your physical cores can be dedicated to SND functions on two SND threads via SMT, but I'd advise providing your code version and posting the outputs of the "Super Seven" commands to this thread first before taking any action:

S7PAC - Super Seven Performance Assessment Command

0 Kudos
sebasnqn
Contributor

Hello Timothy,

First of all, thank you very much for your response.

We're on R81.10 Jumbo Hotfix Take 110.

We've licensed 4 core instances and got duplicated due to hyperthreading. We can change the number of fw worker instances on a window.

I'm adding the super 7 commands.

cpview.png

fw access stat.png

fw accel.png

hyper.pngfw affinity.png

ctl multi.pngcpstat.png

Thank you very much in advanced.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Is this firewall open hardware (i.e. not a Check Point appliance) or a VM?  That would explain why Dynamic Balancing and possibly USFW is off.

If you want to stay with a static CoreXL split (or can't use Dynamic Balancing), definitely change number of instances to 6 to give you a 2/6 split.

Can you please provide the output of netstat -ni as well?  You might need more than 2 SND cores in your split depending on what we see in that output given the high percentage of fastpath traffic.  Also is command fw ctl multik print_heavy_conn showing any elephant/heavy flows in the last 24 hours?

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Probably an Open Server given the output that license count allows to use specific cores out of 32.

0 Kudos
sebasnqn
Contributor

Is an open server, below the information.

asset.png

Adding the response of the commands. 

netstat.png

Edit, there are several heavy connection's using fw ctl multik print_heavy_conn. Several over 60% and a few near 84%.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Based on those outputs 6 instances with a static 2/6 CoreXL split should be appropriate, then you can re-assess.

(1)
sebasnqn
Contributor

Thank you very much Timothy,

I'll make the change tomorrow and test accordingly. 

Keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

The split change will help get the most out of your licensed cores, but you will still get SharePoint-driven CPU spikes since all the packets of a single connection can only be handled on a single worker core in your version.  The pre-Hyperflow options for dealing with elephant/heavy flows are covered in my course, but each approach has its own limitations and drawbacks.  Here is the relevant page summarizing your options:

elephant_rem.png

sebasnqn
Contributor

Hello Timothy,

Thank you for the info, we'll use fast_accel when we detect this flow again to jump the queue. I don't know if we can setup multi_queue, got to investigate that.

We've changed the corexl distribution using cpconfig but we lost one CPU (CPU 16) for SND (or at least is not showing up on the commands). I think is related to the amount of licensed cores that we've, which is 4 by the way; based on sk98348.

tabla.jpg

Below are some screenshots.

cpview.jpg

affinity.jpg

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Your split is 2/6 regardless of what those screenshots say; multi-queue should be on by default for all interfaces that support it.  What is the driver type reported by ethtool -i (interfacename) for all your interfaces?

0 Kudos
sebasnqn
Contributor

Hello Timothy,

Good to know, we where concern about the missing CPU.

Posting the out of commands for each interface.

eth0
driver: tg3
version: 3.137
firmware-version: 5719-v1.46 NCSI v1.5.33.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:08:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

eth1
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:08:00.1

eth2 (not in use)
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:08:00.2

eth3 (not in use)
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:08:00.3

eth4 (not in use)
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0

eth5
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.1

eth6
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.2

eth7
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.3

eth8 (not in use)
driver: mlx4_en
version: 4.6-1.0.1
firmware-version: 2.42.5044
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: no
supports-priv-flags: yes

eth9 (not in use)
driver: mlx4_en
version: 4.6-1.0.1
firmware-version: 2.42.5044
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: no
supports-priv-flags: yes

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

eth0-eth7 are using Broadcom driver tg3 and do not support Multi-Queue, this is the reason core 16 (sibling core to CPU 0 under SMT) is not showing up.  However this is the optimal configuration since your single SND instance has exclusive access to CPU 0 to handle all interfaces and does not have another SND instance trying to compete for the same physical core via CPU 16.  Assuming you don't rack up greater than 0.1% RX-DRP vs. RX-OK in output of netstat -ni, your single SND instance should be fine.  

Broadcom NIC interfaces are usually the low cost bidder for inclusion of their NICs on the server motherboards, and do however suck quite mightily once they get put under load.  But perhaps after having 10+ years to straighten out and stabilize their crap drivers, maybe Broadcom has finally has managed at long last to do so...maybe.

R81.20 will not make a huge difference to you here since you are on open hardware which does not support Hyperflow nor Dynamic Split.  I'd just make sure you have the latest recommended R81.10 Jumbo HFA applied.

sebasnqn
Contributor

Good to know Timothy,

Will gave this info to infra so they can search for some new server having those specs in mind.

For now seems to be working normally, so we'll keep the configuration and keep an eye on heavy flows to try fast_accel.

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

What is the software version of the GW? Asking because this is a heavy flow issue that might be already resolved by HyperFlow available with R81.20

0 Kudos
sebasnqn
Contributor

Hello Val,

Thank you for asking, we're on R81.10 Jumbo Hotfix Take 110. We could jump to 81.20 on the 2nd FW of the cluster and test; but probably not today.

0 Kudos
AmitShmuel
Employee
Employee

Hi,

HyperFlow is relevant for Check Point appliances - https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk178070

0 Kudos
Henrik_Noerr1
Advisor

Hey @AmitShmuel ,

We have been looking into hyperflow. We are currently a heavy Open Server shop investigation appliance benefits - of which I see few.

Can you comment on this limitation?

• When you enable only the Firewall Software Blade in the Security Gateway object, HyperFlow does not improve performance. This is because SecureXL accelerates connections not going through inspection, while HyperFlow accelerates connections going through inspection (blades).

SecureXL does not allow an elephant flow to be multithreaded in the firewall.

We would need to enabled ie. IDS - and ensure that the connections is inspected (causing some unknown performance hit) - To ensure that an elephant flow will be handled by multiple cores.

Is this correctly understood?

It feels like it is a hard sell for my organization. A lot of unknowns.

/Henrik

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Hyperflow is not supported on open hardware, although it can be force-enabled on open hardware/VMWare for lab testing purposes only.

Only connections being processed in the Medium Path (i.e. PSLXL and CPASXL) can be boosted by Hyperflow.  Traffic in the fastpath (firewall blade only processing by SecureXL) and F2F/slowpath do not benefit from Hyperflow at all.  Only Threat Prevention blades (with the exception of Zero Phishing) can benefit from having their operations boosted by Hyperflow in the pipeline paths.

I'd recommend thoroughly reading sk178070:HyperFlowin R81.20 and higher which spells out all the prerequisites and limitations quite well.  Hyperflow is extensively covered and used during labs in my Gateway Performance Optimization class, so I am quite familiar with it and should be able to answer any additional questions you have.

Steffen_Appel
Advisor

How can you enable it on open servers?

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Here is the page from my Gateway Performance Optimization Course detailing the "secret" commands, for anyone else reading this please heed the warnings about not using these commands on production systems that don't support them.  Use at your own risk! 

The first circled command force-enables Dynamic Split, while the latter two enable Hyperflow even if the required minimum number of cores is not present.  The firewall will need to be rebooted for these commands to take effect.

dynsplit.png

the_rock
Legend
Legend

I would say you will have better luck with this if you install R81.20, for sure. One thing I always recall being successfull in the past was disable corexl, reboot, re-enable, reboot. That fixed it for few customers I worked with.

Best regards,

Andy

0 Kudos
sebasnqn
Contributor

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the idea, will do it on next available window.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Its just something that worked for me in the past, but considering that @Timothy_Hall is way smarter than myself, I would go with his advice.

Best regards,

Andy

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events