Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create a Post
Highlighted
Nickel

SecureXL DoS Rate Limiting (samp rules)

Jump to solution

I have been working a lot with the rate limiting rules via the "fw samp" CLI interface, but unfortunately I cannot get the gateway to actually enforce them.  It appears SecureXL is very unhappy when I try to enable rate limiting:

[Expert@PROD-FW02a:0]# fwaccel dos config set --enable-rate-limit
ERROR: No rate limiting policy is installed, can't enable.

What exactly is the "rate limiting policy" it is referring to?  

I have dug fairly deep in documentation, sks, etc. and cannot figure out what triggers the rate limiting capabilities of SecureXL to turn on, based on policy settings.  I also thought maybe enabling QoS blade and the QoS policy component would trigger things, but it had no effect on things.

Of course, this same status is reflected when you query the configuration (fwaccel dos config get):

rate limit: disabled (without policy)
pbox: disabled
blacklists: disabled
drop frags: disabled
drop opts: disabledfwacc
internal: disabled
monitor: disabled
log drops: enabled
log pbox: enabled
notif rate: 100 notifications/second
pbox rate: 500 packets/second
pbox tmo: 180 seconds

The gateways are R80.30 5800 appliances.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: SecureXL DoS Rate Limiting (samp rules)

Jump to solution

Hi @Egenity 

to fwaccel dos blacklist read more here: R80.x - Performance Tuning Tip - DDoS „fw sam“ vs. „fwaccel dos“ 

The SecureXL penalty box is a mechanism that performs an early drop of packets arriving from suspected sources. This mechanism is supported starting in R75.40VS.

Why not sam policy rules?

The SAM policy rules consume some CPU resources on Security Gateway. We recommend to set an expiration that gives you time to investigate, but does not affect performance. The best practice is to keep only the SAM policy rules that you need. If you confirm that an activity is risky, edit the Security Policy, educate users, or otherwise handle the risk. Or better use SecureXL penalty box from a performance point of view.

The purpose of this feature is to allow the Security Gateway to cope better under high load, possibly caused by a DoS/DDoS attack. These commands „fwaccel dos“ and „fwaccel6 dos“  control the Rate Limiting for DoS mitigation techniques in SecureXL on the local security gateway or cluster member.

In version R80.20, the penalty box feature is now supported in VSX mode and each virtual system can be independently configured for penalty box operation.

Attention!

In R80.20, all "sim erdos" commands are no longer supported. They have been replaced with equivalent commands which can be found under "fwaccel dos". Penalty box is configured separately for IPv4 and IPv6. IPv4 configuration is performed using the "fwaccel dos" command. IPv6 configuration is performed using the "fwaccel6 dos" command.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
15 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Adam,

You need to add a rate-limiting rule first before you can enable enforcement.  Please see this article:

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Management-Topics/How-to-completely-exclude-some-specifi...

The commands have changed slightly in R80.20+; substitute "fw samp add quota" with "fw sam_policy add quota" and "cat /proc/ppk/dos" with "fwaccel dos stats get".  You can also use "fw sam_policy get" to verify a quota rule in R80.20+ after you have added it.

Book "Max Power 2020: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization" Third Edition
Now Available at www.maxpowerfirewalls.com
Highlighted
Nickel

Jump to solution
Sorry, I didn't make that totally clear in my initial post. I have a ton of samp rules configured, and verified by fw samp get output. However, it still refuses to kick in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

By default samp rules will only apply to traffic traversing interfaces defined as External in the firewall topology, have you done a fwaccel dos config set –-enable-internal yet?

Book "Max Power 2020: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization" Third Edition
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nickel

Jump to solution
Well, in this case, it is really only intended for external interface, so that angle shouldn't matter at this point.

BACKGROUND: Customer wanted to implement an IP block list from a feed. I modified some scripts that Check Point originally supplied in an SK to work properly with the feed and create the SAM rules. That part works perfectly. The gateway just won't actually do anything with them.

Small example of configured SAM policy rules:

[Expert@MDC-PROD-FW02a:0]# fw samp get | more

operation=add uid=<5e09eea8,000020a9,0501010a,0000089f> target=all timeout=1367 action=drop log=log comment=intelligo_ip_block service=any source=range:

1.4.244.35-1.4.244.35 pkt-rate=0 req_type=quota

operation=add uid=<5e09eea8,000020ab,0501010a,0000089f> target=all timeout=1367 action=drop log=log comment=intelligo_ip_block service=any source=range:

1.4.246.250-1.4.246.250 pkt-rate=0 req_type=quota

operation=add uid=<5e09eea8,000020ac,0501010a,0000089f> target=all timeout=1367 action=drop log=log comment=intelligo_ip_block service=any source=range:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nickel

Jump to solution

After a lot of troubleshooting, it appears to be a size limitation.  When I remove the long list and simply configure a test rule, the rate-limiting fires up.

The /var/log/messages gave some clues:

Dec 30 09:54:00 2019 MDC-PROD-FW02a kernel: [SIM4];ERROR: [sxl0]dos_db_rate_rset_rules_alloc (dos_db.c:2838): halloc failed: size=397592
Dec 30 09:54:00 2019 MDC-PROD-FW02a kernel: [SIM4];ERROR: [sxl0]dos_db_rate_policy_alloc (dos_db.c:3518): dos_db_rate_rset_alloc failed
Dec 30 09:54:00 2019 MDC-PROD-FW02a kernel: [SIM4];ERROR: [sxl0]dos_db_rate_install (dos_db.c:4049): dos_db_rate_policy_alloc failed
Dec 30 09:54:00 2019 MDC-PROD-FW02a kernel: [SIM4];ERROR: [sxl0]dos_q_rate_install (dos_q.c:1257): dos_db_rate_install
Dec 30 09:54:00 2019 MDC-PROD-FW02a kernel: [fw4_0];cphwd_api_q_request_blocking: SecureXL device responded with an error (CPHWD_API_RESPONSE_ERROR). Retry = 0
Dec 30 09:54:00 2019 MDC-PROD-FW02a kernel: [fw4_0];ERROR: vs0: i0: cphwd_dos_ioctl_rate_install_g (cphwd_dos_ioctl.c:422): cphwd_dos_q_request_blocking: sxl_dev_id=0

The block list the customer wants implemented currently has 49,000+ entries (IP ranges).

TAC is a bit perplexed (6-0001867439), and I am not sure they totally understand the issue.  

I am curious if there are some adjustments somewhere to accommodate this.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Looking at your sample rules, it appears you are trying to perform a block with quotas by setting a packet rate of 0 for a single IP address in each statement.  The number of quota rules you are trying to install appears to be exceeding some kind of fixed memory/table size in SecureXL, and I don't see any SecureXL kernel variables exposed that could be tweaked to increase the limit.

If you are doing a packet rate of zero to implement a block for all your samp rules, could you perhaps use the new fwaccel dos blacklist command added in R80.20 instead?  It is a much simpler feature and may have higher limits for the number of entries you can add.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Egenity 

to fwaccel dos blacklist read more here: R80.x - Performance Tuning Tip - DDoS „fw sam“ vs. „fwaccel dos“ 

The SecureXL penalty box is a mechanism that performs an early drop of packets arriving from suspected sources. This mechanism is supported starting in R75.40VS.

Why not sam policy rules?

The SAM policy rules consume some CPU resources on Security Gateway. We recommend to set an expiration that gives you time to investigate, but does not affect performance. The best practice is to keep only the SAM policy rules that you need. If you confirm that an activity is risky, edit the Security Policy, educate users, or otherwise handle the risk. Or better use SecureXL penalty box from a performance point of view.

The purpose of this feature is to allow the Security Gateway to cope better under high load, possibly caused by a DoS/DDoS attack. These commands „fwaccel dos“ and „fwaccel6 dos“  control the Rate Limiting for DoS mitigation techniques in SecureXL on the local security gateway or cluster member.

In version R80.20, the penalty box feature is now supported in VSX mode and each virtual system can be independently configured for penalty box operation.

Attention!

In R80.20, all "sim erdos" commands are no longer supported. They have been replaced with equivalent commands which can be found under "fwaccel dos". Penalty box is configured separately for IPv4 and IPv6. IPv4 configuration is performed using the "fwaccel dos" command. IPv6 configuration is performed using the "fwaccel6 dos" command.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Nickel

Jump to solution

I will examine the blacklist function, but I suspect the same type of limitation may be present.  I went with the zero rate limit  process, as described in "sk103154 - How to block traffic coming from known malicious IP addresses" -- it appears to be what Check Point recommends.

The other method I tested was a script that builds a dynamic object with all the IP ranges from the black list.  It was based on the script and idea from openDBL (discussed in another thread here).  Then just referencing the object in the rulebase from drop/log action.

Although, the concept worked, the dyanmic_objects process was a little clunky and performed poorly with 49000+ entries which is why I started down the SecureXL DoS layer implementation.  Also, I could never get the dynamic_objects API to pull in all the entries, it would always reject about 5% of the ranges.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

From a performance point of view, I would always use fwaccel dos.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

A major update to sk112454 was just published.   It provides a lot more detail regarding DOS/Rate limiting rules, blacklist, and penalty box.  Hopefully it will help.

If you are just trying to block specific source IP addresses, I recommend using fwaccel dos blacklist.  Per the sk, there is a hotfix available that will scale the blacklist to millions of IPs.   It will be rolled into the R80.20 R80.30 JHF soon.

I can confirm that fw samp rules tend to have resource allocation issues when using more than about 10,000 rules.  The root cause is memory allocation failures in the kernel.   The work-around is to use the blacklist (create fewer fw samp rules).

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Wow, the updated SK answered all my questions and then some.  Great job!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nickel

Jump to solution

Has the hotfix been rolled in to R80.30 JHF 155?  I looked down the list of fixes, but nothing stood out as matching.

Adam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Not delivered yet.  It is approved and I expect it will be included in the next ongoing take.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nickel

Jump to solution
Just to confirm, is the fix in R80.40 release already?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Yes - it is in R80.40 already.   Also an easier to use command line for managing fw samp rules.  See  "fwaccel dos rate --help"