Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HaTM
Explorer

Identity Awareness - R81.20 For Lab

I setup a virtual lab with Checkpoint Firewall Security Management and Standalone R81.20 to test the integration of the Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager solution. When I enabled the Identity Awareness feature on Checkpoint and tried to post an API to the Firewall address, there was no response. Therefore, I tried using Postman and a browser to the Firewall's API address, but both showed a  404 Error "No URL" result as shown below:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>

<HEAD>
    <TITLE> 404 File Not Found </TITLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>

The URL you requested could not be found on this server.
So i really need help to resolve this issue, tks! 
0 Kudos
11 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

What precise steps were taken to enable Identity Awareness on the gateway?
At the very least you need to enable the blade and push policy to the relevant gateway.

0 Kudos
HaTM
Explorer

Hi, tks for your responsed 

I have reinstalled the lab and successfully sent API using Postman. Currently, I am encountering issues sending API from ClearPass Policy Manager to the Firewall. I have configured the Context Server actions on ClearPass and tested by logging in/out users from CP OnGuard Agent; however, I do not see any Identity Awareness logs on Check Point. How can I troubleshoot the log sending/receiving between these two servers? I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I'm not familiar with the integration with Aruba.
Generally speaking, though:

• Users should be communicated to our gateways via the IDA API 
  • Groups (necessary for Access Roles) will come from LDAP (usually from on-premise Active Directory)

I'd start by checking the Aruba side of this to make sure it is sending us information.
A simple tcpdump should verify the Aruba server is sending traffic to the gateway on port 443.

0 Kudos
HaTM
Explorer

Thank you for your response. I have currently opened a support case with Aruba TAC to debug why the API is not being sent from ClearPass. I have an additional question: with this integration, does CheckPoint require user authentication (via LDAP or AD)? Can I create a dynamic policy to manage user access on CheckPoint based solely on parameters such as IP address and the ClearPass PC health check results?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Identity Awareness receives information via Identity Agents, Identity Collector, or the Identity Awareness API (e.g. for Aruba Clearpass).
Among this information is the user...which is not strictly required.
However, one or more Identity Tags would probably need to be defined to create the relevant Access Policy rules.

0 Kudos
HaTM
Explorer

Hi, i tried to post API to Firewall IA API via Postman with this content: 

{"shared-secret":"**********", "user": "NACAdmin","ip-address":"1.2.3.4","identity-source": "Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager","calculate-roles":0,"fetch-user-groups": 0,"fetch-machine-groups": 0,"roles": "[%{Role Test}]"}

But i got result: 

"message": "Unexpected type 'string' for parameter 'roles' in object of type 'add-identity'. Type should be convertible to array"

So how can i push roles of user to Firewall ? cus at Checkpoint's guide here https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/latest/IdentityAPIs/#web/add-identity~v1%20 
i can send role name to CP. 
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Roles needs to be an array, which are enclosed in square brackets.
The roles listed between the square brackets must be enclosed in quotes (i.e. strings).
Your JSON should look like this:

{
  "shared-secret": "**********",
  "user": "NACAdmin",
  "ip-address": "1.2.3.4",
  "identity-source": "Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager",
  "calculate-roles": 0,
  "fetch-user-groups": 0,
  "fetch-machine-groups": 0,
  "roles": ["Role Test"]
}

0 Kudos
HaTM
Explorer

Hi Phone Boy, Thank for your reply.  

I have successfully sent a manual API and the Checkpoint Firewall has added identity for the User. Currently, I am having an issue with ClearPass sending the API automatically to Checkpoint. Through capturing packets with Wireshark at the Firewall, I observed that there was a POST message sent from ClearPass.  However, there is no record in the log blade:IA. What should I do to debug this case, please help me

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Can you see the exact API call with JSON body sent by Clearpass to the gateway?
Without that, and given that you were able to make a successful API call on your own, I assume this issue is on the Clearpass side.

0 Kudos
HaTM
Explorer

Yes, i have capture on Wireshark about API packet sent to Checkpoint, ClearPass is not enclosing the ip-address parameter in outgoing communications, thus the current issue lies with ClearPass. I have opened a case with Aruba TAC and hope they can assist me in resolving this issue. Additionally, I would like to inquire about licenses for the lab. Where can I obtain a temporary license, as my current lab setup will run out of its license in a few days?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You can generate evaluation licenses via UserCenter, as described here: https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Topics/How-to-Request-an-Evaluation-License-for-Security...

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events