cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dd84
Participant

Outbound NAT Azure HA Cluster

Hi All,

I’ve got a Check Point R80.30 HA cluster deployed in Azure following the latest sk.

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

As a next step I am looking to leverage the Check Point cluster to be the Internet gateway for outbound Internet traffic and perform outbound NAT to the subnets behind it.

I'm not looking to do automatic NAT.  So for my NAT rules...just for a sanity check - I’m NATing my traffic so that it changes the translated source to the private Cluster VIP address?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

That sounds correct.
The final NAT to a public address happens within Azure.
0 Kudos
Salman2020
Explorer

Hi

I have the same question to NAT outbound Internet traffic behind checkpoint cloudguard cluster, don't find any clear documentation. Can someone please help

I want to NAT all internal client behind cluster IP for outbound internet access.

0 Kudos
Edan_Leventhal
Employee
Employee

Hi Salman2020
You can use the "hide behind gateway" feature on any host or network you choose.

Keep in mind, it will not use the VIP but the public address of the active gateway itself.

You can find this in the admin guide as well:
2023-06-02 07_34_07-Workflow for Setting Up a High Availability Cluster in Azure and 2 more pages - .png

0 Kudos
Salman2020
Explorer

Thanks for the response Edan, 

just on this" comment Keep in mind, it will not use the VIP but the public address of the active gateway itself." if my gateways failover then NAT IP will change is that correct.

Is there any NAT option to hide for example all " source 10.0.0.0/8" behind VIP of the clusters, so egress IP will not change. 

Also I want to create Manual NAT as below not automatic. 

Original Source: 10.0.0.0/8  Original Destination: internet  Org srv:any Translated Source : ???? 

what will be the translated source, VIP public, VIP private Gateway IP 

many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If you want a no NAT rule, then the "translated source/destination/service" will be "Original" and should be listed at the top of the NAT rulebase.

0 Kudos
Salman2020
Explorer

I want to create Manual NAT rule. 

Example: Original Source: 10.0.0.0/8  Original Destination: internet   Translated Source : ???? 

what should be the translated source ?  VIP public of cluster , VIP private Gateway IP or public IP of active Gateway.

Our Cloudguard HA pair running as Active/Standby.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

For Azure to do the final NAT to a public address, you would need to use a private IP.
On this case, not sure if you use the private VIP or just the IP of the gateway.

0 Kudos
Edan_Leventhal
Employee
Employee

Hi Salman,

Technically you can use the hide behind gateway feature to hide behind the private IP of the VIP and it will work.

Do note, as this configuration is not mentioned in the admin guide, this is not a supported configuration by support.

Additionally, I'm not sure what is your goal with this, but if it's do avoid downtime, I would like to remind you that due to Azure limitations failover in Azure involves up to 15 seconds of downtime, and up to 2 minutes if VPN is used.

0 Kudos
Salman2020
Explorer

Thanks Edan, 

From your comment : Do note, as this configuration is not mentioned in the admin guide, this is not a supported configuration by support.

what is the supported config ? 

0 Kudos
Edan_Leventhal
Employee
Employee

Hi Salman,

The supported config is what was mentioned earlier from the admin guide with "hide behind gateway"

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.