Who rated this post

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cosmos
Advisor

Hello Omer

This is SmartConsole 81.10.9600.410, running Windows 10 Enterprise Virtual Desktop. It's a non-persistent desktop so I don't expect the upgrade to persist - that has to be done on the image the desktop is spawned from.

That aside, the process is run in the context of the logged in user which is not an administrator, and the application is installed in a location that only SYSTEM and Administrators have write access to.

The UAC icon (windows shield) appears on the "Install Now" button under the Update menu, suggesting admin privileges are required, however on clicking the button nothing happens - no UAC prompt or indication an installation is running.

Oddly, when I log back into a freshly spawned VDI (i.e. any previous attempts to upgrade would have been abandoned), the update menu states "SmartConsole has successfully updated" and instead of "Install Now" we get the option to "Relaunch Now" and keep the session open. On doing so, "SmartConsole has experienced a serious problem and needs to relaunch."

On restarting the console, "A new SmartConsole is ready to install", rinse and repeat.

I have since noticed a "Program" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\R81.10\ which I believe is a directory junction to the latest version, in this case there is still only one version (81.10.9600.410):

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
d----- 8/03/2023 8:54 AM 81.10.9600.410
d----l 29/11/2022 1:06 PM PROGRAM
-a---- 18/10/2022 4:55 PM 9662 logo.ico
-a---- 18/10/2022 4:55 PM 229 XInstall_names.conf

29/11/2022 01:06 PM <JUNCTION> PROGRAM [C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\R81.10\81.10.9600.410]

Assuming that when an update is installed in the base directory, the PROGRAM junction is updated to point to it.

In this case no update was ever installed, despite the console messages.

PS: there appears to be a bug in the Check Mates forum that continuously steals focus from this text entry dialog, possibly related to the flashy banners at the top of the page. As if the forum developers took a leaf out of the SmartConsole bug book.

(1)
Who rated this post