Who rated this post

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichUK
Contributor

Hi, I hate when people post forum problems and then never reply when it is resolved, I just realised I did this.

The short answer is that it was IPS enabled with a protected scope of Any, and Content Awareness.

The long answer involves a fluke. We were having real issues with dropouts, and we just couldn't figure it out. One day, monitoring the CPU processes, we noticed a spike with users saying they are losing connectivity. Apologies, but I can’t remember the exact details, but the process pointed to IPS inspection using the IP of an interface that is connected to our community network, but it still goes through the corporate firewall. I asked the Desktop team if they were doing any work at the libraries, and they were imaging computers, and the image server was connected to another network on the firewall. This was the lightbulb moment. Looking at the IPS ruleset (configured by ex-employee) the IPS protected scope was set to Any. I changed the scope to our external IP range and instantly the CPU % dropped.

Everything was fine for a couple of days, but then suddenly the CPU spiked again and many of our user’s lost connectivity. Again, monitor the IP address causing the spike, it was still coming from the community network. This time the process was associated with Content Awareness. We removed CA from the ruleset, and we have not had a problem since. 10 months now. The firewalls spiked inspecting PDF’s downloading off the internet. Check Point supported wanted to enable CA again to try to understand the issue, but after months of disconnections, we decided to not enable it.

(1)
Who rated this post