Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christoph
Collaborator

The requirement to always move forward ...

... without the possibility to linger.

So I got the CCSM. This was never my goal, but I needed to extend the CCSE. I took the specializations exams I thought I had some experience in and sometimes a course to prepare.

If I'm not wrong, to maintain the CCSM I have to travel the road down to CCSM Elite, no way around it. To be honest, I don't want to. I want to maintain the CCSM, that's enough. Then again, I do not want to let it expire and then do like 3-4 exams, just to get back to the point where I'm now - if this is possible at all.

Don't get me wrong. I like learning new stuff. But learning stuff with the primary purpose to pass an exam I find "unsatisfactory".

So my questions are. Why do we have to push further? Why can't we do a refresh exam that we already did or when the time comes, ofc a renewed one for a new release?  If we would do a refresh exam, we already did, would we be a worse CCSM than someone who just took the exam for the first time?

At least this is my feeling about the certification process ... But maybe I'm totally wrong and there are other options I'm missing.

Besides all this rambling, one question out of curiosity. Do on-site trainings (or hybrid) still exist? Is there a training center that still offers them on a regular basis? I clicked through some of the trainings and besides a few CCSE trainings, all I could find were online live courses. Have to say I actually do miss the on-site trainings.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I think the best person to confirm all this would probably be @Jason_Tugwell 

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

For your last question I'd say it's a question of economy for both trainers and trainees. Online trainings avoid the commute, accommodation and so on and given that almost everything can be setup in virtual labs they tend to be more efficient.

You can also easily mute the training to take calls, connect to customers if needs be and such which is more cumbersome/intrusive in physical classes.

0 Kudos
Christoph
Collaborator

Hey Alex,

they sure are more efficient, but I still have fond memories of the on site trainings for going to new places (ofc, not the travel part), meeting new people, and sharing experiences.

If I had the chance to choose I'd say out of 5 trainings I would take 4 virtual classes and 1 on site. Yes, this probably isn't very efficient for the course provider that is also offering on-site trainings:)

You can also easily mute the training to take calls, connect to customers if needs be and such which is more cumbersome/intrusive in physical classes.

Maybe this was one of the biggest benefits of an on site training for me. If you're out of town on a training, I only got contacted in case of an emergency and there was no distraction by the daily business.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Well, in-person classes are almost things of the past now, sadly, probably all because of Covid-19. I will say though, it was much easier to ask questions/solve issues when you have people around you, rather than in virtual classes.

Thats at least my take on it...

Andy

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Well as the sole instructor for my ATC Shadow Peak Inc I can offer some insight about in-person classes.  Basically since the pandemic was more or less over I've had a grand total of *three* requests for in-person classes.  For two of them I flew to the site and presented in person for numerous attendees at the customer's facility, and Shadow Peak's lab equipment was accessed remotely similar to an online class.  For the third I referred the single attendee to an ATC that appeared to still be doing in-person classes.

The final in-person class I ran in Shadow Peak's classroom was early March of 2020; for the rest of that year and all of 2021 I sat in a very nice building that was almost completely empty running classes online.  The classroom lease was up at the end of 2021, and I approached the landlord about a renewal.  They stated "sure we can renew for the standard 1.1X of your current lease payment".  I reminded them that their building was essentially empty due to this pandemic thing and shift to remote work, and offered 0.6X of my current payment, or I'd terminate and they could have zero.  They chose zero thinking everyone would come back into the office soon and they could rent the space for much more.  I drive by that building every now and then in the middle of a weekday and there are maybe 10-15 cars in a parking lot that holds 120.  

Yes I do miss the in-person classes and interaction between attendees, but I don't think public in-person class versions will be coming back en-masse anytime soon.  The hybrid approach where I present in person on site at the customer's facility is still viable though.  But it takes discipline to not lose focus while taking an online class, and sitting in a room with colleagues for three days and being forced to concentrate on studying a single subject is now a rare luxury I'm afraid.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
(1)
the_rock
Legend
Legend

All great points @Timothy_Hall  👍

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)