Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DZ_KB
Collaborator
Jump to solution

VSX plateform

Hi Everybody,

Can someone share the link in wich I'll can find on which checkpoint plateform I can do VSX ?

Thanks a lot.

Regards

n.n

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

All of those should be able to run VSX with a varying number of VSes depending on which software blades you have enabled, how much RAM you have, etc.
It likely will require additional licensing depending on which SKUs you purchased.

If you're doing a new production VSX deployment on the 12600 and 21400, I strongly recommend getting newer appliances and use those instead.
The 12600 and 21400 were End of Engineering Support in June of this year, going fully End of Support in June 2022.
The latest release supported on these appliances is R80.40.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JackPrendergast
Advisor
Advisor

You should do VSX on the latest supported version - which is R80.40 🙂

Admin guide below.

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.40/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.40_VSX_AdminGuide/Content/Topic...

0 Kudos
DZ_KB
Collaborator

Hi @JackPrendergast,

I am looking for a link that tells wich plateform can do VSX.

0 Kudos
JackPrendergast
Advisor
Advisor

You can run and build VSX on any supported Check Point platform such as open server or of course, Check Point hardware.

It’s recommended to use Check Point hardware.

A better question is, what hardware do you have and what do you want to build your VSX on? Then we can assist and tell you if it’s supported  🙂

0 Kudos
DZ_KB
Collaborator

I have 21400, 23500 and 12600

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

All of those should be able to run VSX with a varying number of VSes depending on which software blades you have enabled, how much RAM you have, etc.
It likely will require additional licensing depending on which SKUs you purchased.

If you're doing a new production VSX deployment on the 12600 and 21400, I strongly recommend getting newer appliances and use those instead.
The 12600 and 21400 were End of Engineering Support in June of this year, going fully End of Support in June 2022.
The latest release supported on these appliances is R80.40.

0 Kudos
DZ_KB
Collaborator

If i can do vsx on 21400, what is the difference with a 21400-VSX ?

nb: of course we plane to change these hardware because of the end of support.

0 Kudos
JackPrendergast
Advisor
Advisor

Hello.

Not sure we know what you mean here?

The difference will be that you are splitting up your 21000 series hardware into multiple virtual systems. As PhoneBoy said above, this then creates some extra overhead as each VS will be sharing the physical systems resources.

To clarify too, there isnt any VSX-Specific hardware. Check Point hardware can be used in a VSX or non-VSX way - but how much you can build and how much capacity you have is dependant on the system resources you are building on.

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

The difference is the license which comes with the purchase.

VSX is a software feature. It has nothing to do with the hardware. It works on open servers or appliances (which are just really expensive and non-standard open servers). Last I checked, VSX can even be enabled without a specific license and it will let you run one VS this way for separation of management traffic from through-traffic. Running more VSs takes a license for the feature.

There is also nothing virtual about it beyond the virtualization inherent in preemptive multitasking. VSs are just additional routing tables (VRFs in old software versions, network namespaces in GAiA 3.10). There is exactly as much separation between VSs as there is between Cisco VRFs or Docker containers on Linux. Less separation than there is between Cisco VDCs, FreeBSD jails, or Solaris zones. It's all one single OS.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The 12400 and 12400-VSX only differed in the software license that was included.
With the possible exception of included RAM, they are otherwise identical.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)