Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Borut
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jump to solution

Uneven use of MultiQueue CPU cores

Hi

Our customer is using  6500 appliance and we're observing an uneven load of MultiQueue cores. They're using R80.40, JHF T78

Affinity:
[Expert@FW01:0]# fw ctl affinity -l -r
CPU 0:
CPU 1: fw_5
in.asessiond lpd topod fwucd pepd in.acapd mpdaemon usrchkd pdpd vpnd wsdnsd rtmd in.geod rad fwd cprid cpd
CPU 2: fw_3
in.asessiond lpd topod fwucd pepd in.acapd mpdaemon usrchkd pdpd vpnd wsdnsd rtmd in.geod rad fwd cprid cpd
CPU 3: fw_1
CPU 4:
CPU 5: fw_4
CPU 6: fw_2
CPU 7: fw_0
All:
Interface eth1: has multi queue enabled
Interface eth2: has multi queue enabled
Interface eth3: has multi queue enabled
Interface eth4: has multi queue enabled
Interface Sync: has multi queue enabled
Interface Mgmt: has multi queue enabled

Multiqueue:
[Expert@FW01:0]# mq_mng -o -vv
Total 8 cores. Multiqueue 2 cores: 4,0
i/f type state mode cores
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mgmt igb Up Dynamic (2/2) 0(63),4(64)
eth1 igb Up Dynamic (2/2) 0(45),4(65)
eth2 igb Up Dynamic (2/2) 0(49),4(66)
eth3 igb Up Dynamic (2/2) 0(53),4(67)
eth4 igb Up Dynamic (2/2) 0(57),4(68)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mgmt <igb> max 2 cur 2
0e:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
eth1 <igb> max 2 cur 2
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
eth2 <igb> max 2 cur 2
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
eth3 <igb> max 2 cur 2
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
eth4 <igb> max 2 cur 2
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

core interfaces queue irq rx packets tx packets
0 eth4 eth4-TxRx-0 57 25769 23193
eth3 eth3-TxRx-0 53 1545150 904071
eth2 eth2-TxRx-0 49 433865741 466353128
eth1 eth1-TxRx-0 45 911210633 1500606188
Mgmt Mgmt-TxRx-0 63 9716772 2463400
4 eth4 eth4-TxRx-1 68 622046 662303
eth3 eth3-TxRx-1 67 952119 1662619
eth2 eth2-TxRx-1 66 390618898 446742240
eth1 eth1-TxRx-1 65 942002645 425528973
Mgmt Mgmt-TxRx-1 64 1238135 17131300

This is the data for CPU usage for a day. It shows that CPU4 is utilised a lot less than CPU0.

mq_cpu.JPG

@Timothy_Hall probably has the best idea why this could be happening 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

To my knowledge Multi-Queue uses a hash of various packet header fields to select which eligible SND core should handle all packets for the life of that connection.  Once that selection is made, all packets of that connection will always be handled by that specific SND core.  If your connections are not sufficiently diverse as far as IP addresses and port numbers, similar connections may tend to congregate on a single SND core driving up its load; this will be much more noticeable with only 2 SND cores.  Because there is no way to know whether the new connection will be an elephant flow it is possible for lots of non-diverse ones to end up on the same core.  I don't think there is much you can do about this unless you want to move from the default 2/6 split to 4/4, and I'm not sure the remaining 4 Firewall Worker cores will be able to handle the load.  

There are some other known situations that can cause a significant imbalance between the SND cores like this one that was already fixed in the release you are running:

sk165853: High CPU usage on one CPU core when the number of Remote Access users is high

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Elephant flow hitting CPU 0 maybe?

Borut
Collaborator
Collaborator

We are experiencing some elephant flows through the VPN's but they're not consistent. The CPU consumption difference however, is.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

To my knowledge Multi-Queue uses a hash of various packet header fields to select which eligible SND core should handle all packets for the life of that connection.  Once that selection is made, all packets of that connection will always be handled by that specific SND core.  If your connections are not sufficiently diverse as far as IP addresses and port numbers, similar connections may tend to congregate on a single SND core driving up its load; this will be much more noticeable with only 2 SND cores.  Because there is no way to know whether the new connection will be an elephant flow it is possible for lots of non-diverse ones to end up on the same core.  I don't think there is much you can do about this unless you want to move from the default 2/6 split to 4/4, and I'm not sure the remaining 4 Firewall Worker cores will be able to handle the load.  

There are some other known situations that can cause a significant imbalance between the SND cores like this one that was already fixed in the release you are running:

sk165853: High CPU usage on one CPU core when the number of Remote Access users is high

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Borut
Collaborator
Collaborator

Thanks Timothy

That's a promising SK. There is indeed a lot of VPN traffic right now due to Covid situation. Absolutely worth trying changing the kernel parameter according to the SK. Will schedule a maintenance window with the customer to try. Will update with the findings.

0 Kudos
Borut
Collaborator
Collaborator

The procedure form the SK worked. The multiqueue cores are now almost identically utilized.

Best regards

Borut

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events