cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramilu
Participant

Traffic logs show drop message "IP routing failed (ipin routing failure)"

Hi evryone, 

Our monitoring system detected a short drop of connectivity to the management interface of one of our VSX chassis cluster members.

When I checked the logs, I saw that the snmp and ping requests were dropped by the gateway with informational message "IP routing failed (ipin routing failure)".

I've never come across such a message before and could not find any article online on what might have caused this.

The normal communication was fully restored a few mintes later on its own and even in the meantime, some packets were handled normally and accepted by the firewall.

I was wondering whether someone can suggest how to troubleshoot this as we want to avoid having a bigger problem at some point later by ignoring this now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Please open a TAC ticket for this issue

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Cant say I ever seen that myself either. TAC case might be best option, but closest I found to this message is below:

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Is Policy Based Routing in use? 

Any chance that an upstream next hop router crashed or was rebooted (thus making the next hop for the firewall's route invalid) and connectivity returned once the router came back up?

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

May not be related to routing, could be an ARP cache issue (very rare, but...)

0 Kudos
amoruck
Participant

I know this post is old, but in case anyone else is searching for drop with "ipin routing failure" message - I have this logged (VSX cluster R80.30) when there was destination NAT configured, and there was no route to "translated destination" IP address. 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events