Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BunleangMeng_KH
Contributor
Jump to solution

SSL Certificate Cannot Be Trusted (vulnerability)

Hello community 

Nessus scanner detected on checkpoint security and gateway 

show 

SSL Certificate Cannot Be Trusted (MEDIUM)

Description
The server's X.509 certificate cannot be trusted. This situation can occur in three different ways, in which the chain of trust can be broken, as stated below :

- First, the top of the certificate chain sent by the server might not be descended from a known public certificate authority. This can occur either when the top of the chain is an unrecognized, self-signed certificate, or when intermediate certificates are missing that would connect the top of the certificate chain to a known public certificate authority.

- Second, the certificate chain may contain a certificate that is not valid at the time of the scan. This can occur either when the scan occurs before one of the certificate's 'notBefore' dates, or after one of the certificate's 'notAfter' dates.

- Third, the certificate chain may contain a signature that either didn't match the certificate's information or could not be verified. Bad signatures can be fixed by getting the certificate with the bad signature to be re-signed by its issuer. Signatures that could not be verified are the result of the certificate's issuer using a signing algorithm that Nessus either does not support or does not recognize.

If the remote host is a public host in production, any break in the chain makes it more difficult for users to verify the authenticity and identity of the web server. This could make it easier to carry out man-in-the-middle attacks against the remote host.

Solution
Purchase or generate a proper SSL certificate for this service.
Output
  • The following certificate was at the top of the certificate
    chain sent by the remote host, but it is signed by an unknown
    certificate authority :

|-Subject : L=Locality Name (eg, city)/CN=192.168.0.166/E=Email Address/1.2.840.113549.1.9.2=An optional company name
    |-Issuer  : L=Locality Name (eg, city)/CN=192.168.0.166/E=Email Address/1.2.840.113549.1.9.2=An optional company name
    Port Hosts
    8443 / tcp

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BunleangMeng_KH
Contributor

Hi 

you need to generate a CSR file for a gateway or your management 

then sign it with the internal CA 

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BunleangMeng_KH
Contributor

Note that on Nessus scanner has installed public CA 

on the checkpoint, gateway have installed public CA 

object gateways > property > platform portal > import certificate p.12 format 

After import Nessus re-scan a new one, the result still the same with SSL cannot be trusted

0 Kudos
Daniel_Kavan
Advisor

Is there a way to do it on the manager as well?  My gws have been updated.  There is no platform portal on the manager for smart console.   Does a wildcard certificate need to be added in the webui, under certificate authority?  I'm not seeing how to fix this Nessus medium flag on a manager.

SSL Certificate Cannot Be Trusted

0 Kudos
BunleangMeng_KH
Contributor

Hi 

you need to generate a CSR file for a gateway or your management 

then sign it with the internal CA 

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

Daniel_Kavan
Advisor

Thanks for the link!  I already have a wildcard certificate that I want to use.    On the gws I can update it in the platform portal, but for the manager, it looks like I need to follow steps 10-12 of sk109593 with my wildcard certificate.

After sk109593 (steps 10-12) for me SSL Certificate Cannot Be Trusted is still showing up but SSL Self-Signed Certificate is not after putting in the wildcard.  SIC is fine.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events