Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Kavan
Advisor

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to role out an R81.10 gateway.  Do I need to upgrade my R81 manager to R81.10 first, OR can R81 manage the new R81.10 gateway?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RamGuy239
Advisor
Advisor

You will have to update the management first. The ability to manage R81.10 gateways using R81 management will be made available through a future jumbo hotfix release. From what I've heard it's expected to be released sometime in August, but it's not set in stone.

With that said, just like when using R80.20 or R80.30 management to manage R80.40 gateways you are losing out on a bunch of the added features and capabilities. It will always be best to have the management on the same version.

My experience with R81.10 on management so far is very good. Especially this change seems to have improved the performance by a ton:

The Solr functionality used by the Security Management Server database is replaced with a PostgreSQL database to improve the stability and performance of the Security Management Server. Solr is still in use for logs and SmartEvent.

After moving from R81 to R81.10 on a management server that is also handling logging and smart event the fluidity is much better. It was very noticeable right away.

Certifications: CCSA, CCSE, CCSM, CCSM ELITE, CCTA, CCTE, CCVS, CCME

View solution in original post

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

One of our marketing slides says a 50% speed improvement for SmartEvent.
There are some other under the hood fixes that improve the stability of security management overall. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I presume we will release a JHF that allows R81 management to manage R81.10 gateways at some point.
However, this does not exist currently.
You will need to upgrade your management to R81.10 first.
If you want to leverage any R81.10 features on said gateway, you would need to do this anyway. 

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

I asked the very same question, and the answer is, yes its on the roadmap for a future jumbo, I think it may be early as August.

0 Kudos
RamGuy239
Advisor
Advisor

You will have to update the management first. The ability to manage R81.10 gateways using R81 management will be made available through a future jumbo hotfix release. From what I've heard it's expected to be released sometime in August, but it's not set in stone.

With that said, just like when using R80.20 or R80.30 management to manage R80.40 gateways you are losing out on a bunch of the added features and capabilities. It will always be best to have the management on the same version.

My experience with R81.10 on management so far is very good. Especially this change seems to have improved the performance by a ton:

The Solr functionality used by the Security Management Server database is replaced with a PostgreSQL database to improve the stability and performance of the Security Management Server. Solr is still in use for logs and SmartEvent.

After moving from R81 to R81.10 on a management server that is also handling logging and smart event the fluidity is much better. It was very noticeable right away.

Certifications: CCSA, CCSE, CCSM, CCSM ELITE, CCTA, CCTE, CCVS, CCME
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

One of our marketing slides says a 50% speed improvement for SmartEvent.
There are some other under the hood fixes that improve the stability of security management overall. 

Daniel_Kavan
Advisor

I'm hoping R81.10 can manage an R80.10 gw as well.    

shlomip
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

@Daniel_Kavan ,

Yes.R81.10 can manage an R80.10 GW as well

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

See the complete list of what R81.10 can manage in the release notes.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events