Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r1der
Advisor
Jump to solution

Questions on upgrading from R80.10 to R80.40 or R81

Hi Everyone,

First off, thanks for reading my post and what a great community CheckMates has here. I hope you all are safe and have a Merry Christmas/Happy New Year! I have only been using CheckPoint for about 5 months now, please bear with me while I learn. If this is the wrong area, sorry for posting it in the wrong place!

I was hoping I could get some guidance on upgrading them from R80.10 to R80.40 or R81, with little or no downtime, if possible. If I am not mistaken, I can upgrade the Gateways from R80.10 to R81, but the Smart-1 210 hardware or “SMS” will need a two-step upgrade - R80.40 then R81.

Hardware: (1) Smart-1 210 R80.10 build 031 and (2) 5600 SG R80.10 build 124. SGs are setup as High Availability/ClusterXL.

Should I be installing any hotfixes, minor versions, Blink Packages prior? These are what I have currently recommended: Hotfixes - R80.10 Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator General Availability (Take 287), Minor Versions- R80.10 SmartConsole Build 183, Blink Packages – R80.40 Security Management + JHF T89 for Appliances and Open Servers, Major versions (will do this) - R80.40 Gaia Fresh Install and Upgrade.

Here is what I believe the steps should be:

• Backup SMS and the two SGs.
  • Verify/Update CPUSE – SMS and Gateways currently on Deployment Agent build 1999 R80.10 take 479. I believe this is latest, so we are good.
  • On Smart-1 210/SMS update via Web GUI -> Upgrades (CPUSE) Status and Actions -> Major Versions -> select “R80.40…” Download and assuming Install will be the next option.
  • Upgrade SmartConsole on my PC. Download via SMS WebGUI or CheckPoint
  • Upgrade Security Gateways using this procedure. I am assuming it’s like #3.
    --- I'm reading there are several ways to upgrade, “connectivity upgrade” and “multi-version cluster upgrade”, but then also read from a post that SGs can be updated via SmartConsole on R81. So I'm a bit confused here trying to find out the best method.
  • Post-upgrade checks (I’ll need to do more research on what else needs to be done here).

I am sure I am missing a lot of things to check or do. Please feel free to add anything you think I should be aware of.
Also if R80.40 is more stable, I'd be fine with at least upgrading to that version.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
31 Replies
motiami
Contributor

Thanks a lot, much appriciate!
I'll run this in a LAB environment.

0 Kudos
motiami
Contributor

Hi again,

I have just completed the upgrade process successfully in a LAB environment.

the gateways were running R80.10 and I have added some OSPF neighbors.

it turns out that the MVC process document was exactly what I was doing besides adding this command 'set cluster member mvc on' on the upgraded module just before the policy installation.

On my LAB, I could reproduce the OSPF issue but immediately after applying the command, OSPF came up and the cluster got synced.

Cheers!

(1)

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events