Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottc98
Collaborator
Jump to solution

Link State Propagation (LSP) support clarification

Hello,

I am hoping to get some clarity on Link State Propagation (LSP) support and which gateway models they are supported in.  This is for a Layer 2 Bridge mode deployment (ClusterXL Active/Active) but also looking if any difference on a single GW (i.e General understanding of model support period).   There seems to be some question about this support on a 3000 series device where no such expansion cards are possible.

• Reading the Installation guides for R81.10 (note: R80.30 states the same) - https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81.10/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81.10_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...
    • The guide seems to be bold in the following statement "Link State Propagation is supported on Check Point Appliances with these Expansion Line Cards" with their respective line card and driver.  
  • SK108121 - How to configure Link State Propagation (LSP) in a Bridge interface on Gaia OS and SecurePlatform OS (https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...)
    • This SK also very misleading on what is supported
      • Link State Propagation (LSP) is supported on Check Point appliances with the following line cards running Gaia OS / SecurePlatform OS:

• CPAC-4-1C= 4 Port 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet (RJ45) interface card (supported by IGB driver)
        • CPAC-8-1C = 8 Port 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet (RJ45) interface card (supported by IGB driver)
        • CPAC-4-1F = 4 Port 1000 Base-F Fiber (SFP) interface card (supported by IGB driver)
        • CPAC-4-10F = 4 Port 10G Base-F Fiber (SFP+) interface card (supported by IXGBE driver)

One of my colleagues mentioned that they tested LSP on a 3600 and 3600-Turbo on R80.30 in this setup; testing fine.

What is also confusing about SK108121 is that it mentions supporting 2000 platform.    To my understanding, the only 2000 is the 2200 model.....which doesn't have expansion cards. 

So....is this a case where LSP is supported on select onboard interfaces within select models and the SK just needs to be updated?   Same with the installation guides:  It really reads like this is only support for expansion cards and no mention of onboard interfaces with "X" drivers within "Y" platforms that LSP is supported.

Appreciate any feedback and clarifications 😉

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Yair_Shahar
Employee
Employee

Hi,

LSP is supported on any igb or ixgbe drivers hence onboard NICs will work as well.

LSP is supported on R81.10 as well

fwkern.conf should be preserved on major upgrades.

We will update the SK to reflect those.

Let me know if additional clarifications needed.

Yair

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Scottc98
Collaborator

One quick follow-up question:   

Does the fwkenr.conf changes that is mentioned in that SK carry over in any upgrades.   

• Will it remain on a JHF patching within same train 
    • Example: Original on R80.30 and would remain on any JHF patching within R80.30
    • R81.10 JHF patching going forward from any release today?
  • Would it remain as is in a upgrade from R80.30 => R81.10 or is that something that will need to be updated as part of an upgrade
0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I can tell you that content of that file stays exactly the same if you do major upgrade...I can confirm that based on R80.30 to R81.10 and R80.40 to R81.10 upgrade. As far as your original question. Im with you there, its not clear to me either reading the sk, so hopefully someone else can confirm.

Yair_Shahar
Employee
Employee

Hi,

LSP is supported on any igb or ixgbe drivers hence onboard NICs will work as well.

LSP is supported on R81.10 as well

fwkern.conf should be preserved on major upgrades.

We will update the SK to reflect those.

Let me know if additional clarifications needed.

Yair

Scottc98
Collaborator

Thank you @Yair_Shahar .    The 3000s in question do use those drivers so that should mean it would be supported?   After checking with some other resources, we got the same response as you provided but with one concerning note:

• If the appliance is using one of the supported drivers, then configuring LSP should (in theory) work, but the functionality will still continue to be unsupported by TAC as the feature was never QA’d for those interfaces.

My concern here is TAC support.   Is that an accurate statement or will the question of TAC support be null and void once your team has the SK updated properly to reflect such support?     Can I also assume that the SK update will be detailed so there is no such confusion in the future  (i.e drivers mentioned, how to check for them, models and code levels supported, etc)?

0 Kudos
Scottc98
Collaborator

I see that SK108121 now has the following additions:

• Under the Version at the top, it now lists R81 and R81.10
  • Right above the 'procedure' section, it has the following:   "Note - Onboard NICs using IGB or IXGBE drivers are supported as well"

Will/can the platform/Model section also be updated to list the 3000 model, along with other models this is supported/certified for?  Most of the ones listed today are EOL and would appreciate it if we can get the newer models listed (At min, 3000 series 😉  )

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Yair_Shahar
Employee
Employee

Hi, Quantum series including 3000 series were added to the SK (will appear later today)

TAC will support those based on this information added.

Yair

Yair

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events