Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SecurityNed
Collaborator

Internal Firewall Has No Internet Connection, But Network Within Internal LAN Has

Hello Checkmates,

I have a question regarding the behavior of my internal firewall. Please see image below as reference:

Simple1.png

Currently, anything below INTFW has internet access, but for some reason, INTFW doesn't. I have confirmed this when I checked my URL and App Control updates, and it shows a failed attempt. Logs show allowed via implied rule as seen in the screenshot below:

logs1.png

Running fwctl zdebug + drop | grep [INTFW IP] on EXTFW1 (current active cluster member) doesn't show any drops, so it confirmed that the allowed log entries are correct. It shouldn't be about the routes as my internal network is working as it should be, it's only INTFW that doesn't have internet.

I would like insight to this as it would allow me to then update my internal firewall to the latest JHF and would probably fix a lot of issues that I'm experience.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

What do the logs say, does it show the traffic is being NAT'd at the Ext firewall??

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
SecurityNed
Collaborator

Here's an example of a log egress to 8.8.8.8 from the INTFW

nonat.png

I see no translation entries, but we do have a NAT policy, the group INTERNAL should have the 192.168.4.X IP address configured on the internal firewall.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

The source address shown in the log is different to the subnet you mention so it may not be hitting your current NAT rules.

Granted since it's not an RFC1918 it might be a moot point if the address is valid otherwise.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
SecurityNed
Collaborator

Would I still need NAT if the scenario is:

INTFW [20.20.0.4] <---> EXTFW1 [20.20.0.3]

That IP is the link that is directly connected to the EXTFW1, so I would assume I don't need to NAT it as its directly connected. 

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

If it's a public routeable address that is valid and belongs to your org then no...

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
SecurityNed
Collaborator

Yes, that's why the behavior is unusual. To add, I can ping to my DMZ-residing servers without issue, it's that one hop going to the internet that is not working for some reason. So, for ping tests:

• INTFW --> EXTFW1 Interface (20.20.0.3) = ok
  • INTFW --> DMZ IPs (172.16.X.X) = ok
  • INTFW --> Internet = log says its okay, but ping within the gateway fails
0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

I've sent you a DM to check something related here regarding your choice of IP addresses.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

If you run ip r g 8.8.8.8 command, what does it show?

Andy

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Most likely the issue is the source IP in this case.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events