Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stephen_Ware
Participant
Jump to solution

Identity Collector and CrowdStrike

Hi CheckMates

Is anyone having issue with Identity Collectors when CrowdStrike is running on the domain controllers?

I'm running Identity Collectors on two dedicated servers (so not directly on the domain controllers) but since CrowdStrike has been installed on the domain controllers the id collectors stop receiving events from the DCs at least once per day. The Status Description for each DC remains 'connected' but the events stop incrementing. Restarting the Id Collector service on the Collectors kick-starts the process and they start receiving AD events again.

CrowdStrike technical support have reported that this is a known issue because it interrupts the Identity Collector's connection to AD and no RST packet is sent by the domain controller to reset the tcp session.

One suggested workaround is to configure Task Scheduler on the Collectors to periodically restart the service (say, every 6 hours) but this is not ideal.

Is Check Point R&D aware of the problem (hi, Royi Priov) and is there a better solution to keep the Id Collectors running?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Royi_Priov
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for tagging me.

Yes, there is a known issue, where crowdstrike is closing IDC connection to DC.

It was addressed in bug ID IDA-5232 from our side.

It will be added to the next GA of IDC, but as for now please use the fix from IDA-5232.

Thanks,
Royi Priov
Group manager, Identity Awareness R&D

View solution in original post

(1)
10 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I had someone tell me they had CP case open for this, but no resolution was given. I can ask them what happened with it and report back.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Was any context provided for why the communication is interrupted?

@Royi_Priov 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Royi_Priov
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for tagging me.

Yes, there is a known issue, where crowdstrike is closing IDC connection to DC.

It was addressed in bug ID IDA-5232 from our side.

It will be added to the next GA of IDC, but as for now please use the fix from IDA-5232.

Thanks,
Royi Priov
Group manager, Identity Awareness R&D
(1)
Stephen_Ware
Participant

Hi Royi,

Thanks for the update, I will try the bug fix.

Kind regards

Steve

0 Kudos
r1der
Advisor

Did that fix your issue? I was going to say we aren't having any problems with it, but CrowdStrike was not installed on the server I have Identity Collector running on. It is installed on the DC however. I also have one other server where both are installed and running fine. 

Has this been fixed in Identity Collector version R81.040? Where do I get IDA-5232?
I can't seem to find that, if I end up running into issues after installing CS on another server.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Next release of IDC is not yet available, contact TAC in the interim. 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
Stephen_Ware
Participant

Hi r1der,

My Identity Collectors run on two servers that are separate from my DCs. It's possible that you are not seeing the problem because your Identity Collectors are running on your DCs.
The workaround I used was to set up a task in Windows Task Scheduler on the Identity Collectors that restarts the CP Id Collector service every 6 hours regardless of whether or not it has failed. And the restart schedule is offset by 6 hours between the two Collectors so they do not both restart the service at the same time.

This workaround has been successful so far so I'll keep using it until the fix is rolled into the GA updates.

You might be able to use something similar if you have multiple ID Collectors for resilience.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thanks for sharing that @Stephen_Ware 👍

0 Kudos
r1der
Advisor

Thanks for the update! Good to know the service and that you can just restart it to get it running again.

0 Kudos
Maurice_Conway
Employee
Employee

Hi Royi,

Was it ever determined what on Crowdstrike was closing the connection? 

Thanks,

Maurice

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events