Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gemechisd
Contributor

IPSec VPN Connection terminated

We recently faced with an issue on all our IPSec VPN's. We have around 10 Site to Site IPSec VPN's with different third parties. All tunnels are up on both phases. But on some tunnles, our ED's can't reach the Remote ED with an error of "Connection terminated before detection: Insufficient data passed. To learn more see sk113479."

But before we all able to reach the remote ED's from our local ED's. Now, The remote ED can able to reach to our Local ED. Below you can find the screenshot.

What could cause this? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

In laymans terms, all that sk is literally telling you is that 3 way handshake is not happening, so you would definitely need to run captures to figure out why. In my experience, its usually not CP issue.

Andy

0 Kudos
(1)
gemechisd
Contributor

@the_rock 

What kidn of captures should I ran

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

You will see few commands at the bottom of the file I attached.

Andy

0 Kudos
(1)
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

What version/JHF are the gateways and management?
What is the exact nature of the traffic?
What are the exact Access Policy rules being used to permit traffic in these cases?
The “fix” for this is to ensure rules that match on the first packet are used (ie must be a simple TCP/UDP service).
This is basically what sk113479 says.

0 Kudos
(1)
gemechisd
Contributor

@PhoneBoy @the_rock 

May be If the below description helps. 

JHF Take 197 is installed on both Gaeywats and the management server

One scenario may be helping in this case is we have a IPSec tunnel with a third party with 3 Local ED's and 6 Remote ED's of different subnets on the same peer. Previosuly, on the tunnel managment option of VPN Community, One VPN Tunnel per subnet pair is selected. And at a time 1 ED is working and all other ED's are down on phase 2. Then I have selected One VPN tunnel per gateway pair, and now all the ED's are UP on phase 2.

All 6 Remote ED's are reaching our Local ED's But Our local ED's ca't reach the Remote ED's. The partner said the traffic is not reaching their destination. When I checked from checkpoint Log it shows Connection terminated.

Does selecting VPN tunnel per gateway pair have an impact?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I believe you would select that option per gateway if you use mix of hosts and subnets. I also see customers use it when having Azure or AWS tunnel thats permanent route based.

Andy

0 Kudos
(1)
gemechisd
Contributor

@the_rock 

What about this one? All 6 Remote ED's are reaching our Local ED's But Our local ED's can't reach the Remote ED's. The partner said the traffic is not reaching their destination. When I checked from checkpoint Log it shows Connection terminated.

How can I fix the connection terminated. Insufficient Data Passed error

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Understood. What does it show from fw monitor? At what point does the connection terminate?

Andy

0 Kudos
(1)
gemechisd
Contributor

Below is the output from fwmonitor

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thanks @gemechisd , will review it later. Can you please indicate affected IP addresses? ie your end, their end?

Andy

0 Kudos
(1)
gemechisd
Contributor

Local ED: 10.100.140.35 & 10.1.175.111

Remote ED: 102.318.58.83 & 10.0.103.8

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Ok, so I see from your screencap that i and I are happening on eth1-02 and o on eth1...is that expected? You probably wont see big O since connection would be encrypted.

Andy

0 Kudos
(1)
gemechisd
Contributor

@the_rock 

eth1 & eth1-02.

eth1 is when I try to ping the Remote Host.

eth1-02 is when I try to telnet the Remote Host.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

By the way, did you ever end up opening TAC case for this?

Andy

0 Kudos
gemechisd
Contributor

@the_rock 

I haven't opened a TAC Case.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I think it might be a good idea at this point, as its possible this will require further debugging.

Andy

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The VPN configuration is only relevant insofar as the actual Access Policy rules used to allow the relevant traffic, which you did not provide here.
Please provide screenshots (sensitive details redacted).
The services used in the rules should NOT be redacted.

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor
Advisor

Any APPC/URLF rule matched for that traffic?

If so, try to put a rule for the affected traffic with Action accept on top inside the layer (or in-line layer) for APPC/URLF rulebase

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events