Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaland
Contributor

Dell PowerEdge R740 on HCL?

Looks like the HCL have been updated just recently. But the date of  last updated says "Last Updated: August 5, 2018" 

Last week I found Dell PowerEdge 740 on the list. Can't find that server anymore. 

I was just about to order a Dell PowerEdge 740 this week. Kind of sad if they remove servers from this list when it was supported on R80 

23 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

As far as I know, the Dell R740 should be certified.

Will check why it was removed (and fork this as a new thread).

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The fact the R740 is not on the published list is a bug.

We will update the page shortly.

0 Kudos
Ryan_St__Germai
Advisor

I was under the impression that without the Linux 3.10 kernel, the new Intel scalable CPU's were not supported. I could totally be wrong. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It's only certified for management at this point (which has the new kernel).

Once we release the new kernel for Gateways, we can certify for the newer appliances.

0 Kudos
Kaland
Contributor

Thank you for checking, and confirming. Much appreciated!

Good news for us 

Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

Are there any updates on getting 80.20 on a R740 gateway?  I see the HCL still has - across it.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You can try Check Point R80.20 with Gaia 3.10 for AWS, Azure and Open Server Security Gateways and see if it works.

That particular server was not certified (plan is to do that in the near future).

You can also try participating in the R80.30 EA: R80.30 Early Availability Program is started!

Kaland
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I see there is no support for VSX in this release, so this does not help me. Maybe R80.30 EA will be the way for me to go. 

I will still try and install it as a normal gateway to test the hardware. Hopefully  VSX is supported in near future. 

0 Kudos
Ryan_St__Germai
Advisor

Please do update us on your progress of installing on an R740. 

0 Kudos
Kaland
Contributor

Hi

R80.20 with Gaia 3.10 installation on R740 works. Installation completed without errors, and booting up fine.  I have not tried any production traffic on the gateway yet, but everything looks good for now. 

Hopefully VSX support is coming soon for to help my case

0 Kudos
Damien_Duchenne
Explorer

Hello.

No news on that topic since the last post?

As Bjorn, I'm also actively waiting a solution to run our VSX environment on our Dell R740 servers... It seems to work with R80.20 Kernel 3.10, but it is not officially mentioned as supported by CP so...

I am registrered for the R80.30 EA also.

Thank you for your updates Smiley Happy

Regards,

Damien

0 Kudos
Sigbjorn
Advisor
Advisor

The last feedback we got is that VSX on 3.10 kernel requires a complete rewrite, so it's not expected to be available anytime soon.

0 Kudos
Damien_Duchenne
Explorer

What a bad news... Thank you for your reply!

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

"Complete rewrite" is not quite accurate Smiley Happy

That said, VSX on Linux 3.10 kernel will leverage some kernel features that were not present in earlier releases. 

It's possible that work is taking longer than expected.

In any case, if you want to see it out sooner, I highly recommend getting involved in the Private EA for R80.30: R80.30 Early Availability Program is started!

0 Kudos
Gera_Dorfman
Employee
Employee

Gaia 3.10 image with VSX support will be available soon (ETA is end of March) - it’s being certified in QA these days. 

Sigbjorn
Advisor
Advisor

That's very good news, thanks for the update! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Brian_Olesen
Explorer

Hi Gera, this sounds great. We are also awaiting the possibility to run VSLS on Dell R740. Is the Gaia 3.10 image with VSX support going to be a R80.20 release or R80.30?

Sigbjorn
Advisor
Advisor

Any news on this front @Gera_Dorfman ? We have racked our R740 and are waiting patiently to verify it works before ordering the rest of them.

0 Kudos
Ryan_St__Germai
Advisor

Just checked today. Looks like R740 is now listed as compatible with R80.20 Gaia 3.10 Kernel.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I believe this will require a new build that should be available very shortly.

0 Kudos
Damien_Duchenne
Explorer

Hello.

R80.20 with kernel 3.10 is running fine on our Dell R740 servers. But VSX is not integrated yet... Has someone an idea of when it will be officially released in it?

We are in the R80.30EA program, but it seems that VSX will not be integrated in the first releases 😞

Damien

0 Kudos
Kaland
Contributor

Hi

What Raid Controller do you have? And do you use UEFI or BIOS mode? 

0 Kudos
Sigbjorn
Advisor
Advisor

We successfully installed the new R80.30_3.10_T5 EA image on our R740 test server now. (https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Enterprise-Appliances-and-Gaia/R80-30-3-10-EA-Program-is-now-ava...)

VSX Enabled and running. 

Now we just need to wait for it to become GA so we can order more servers and start migrating.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events