cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VIKAS_SINGH
Explorer

Cluster Load sharing issue

Hi,

I am using R81.20 with JHF-take 65 for my FW1 and FW2. I made cluster. 

While enabling the Load balance , I am not able to reach global dns 8.8.8.8 from both Gateway.

on HA we are able to reach global dns.

Attached some snap for reference.

VIKAS_SINGH_0-1726838526507.png

Cphaprob stat output

VIKAS_SINGH_1-1726838526522.png

Ping global dns

VIKAS_SINGH_2-1726838526526.png

0 Kudos
13 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

What do you see with a tcpdump when trying this?

0 Kudos
VIKAS_SINGH
Explorer

i hvnt taken tcpdump , will post on Monday .

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

We definitely need more info. As Phoneboy advised, run tcpdump, fw monitor, try ip r g 8.8.8.8. Can you also send us output of route command from expert mode?

What does traceroute show? Network unreachable is super generic error that can mean multiple things. Could be interface issue, default gateway problem, route.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

What switches do you have and how is the multicast/IGMP/arp config?

See also sk44898

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
(1)
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Valid point Chris.

0 Kudos
VIKAS_SINGH
Explorer

we are using Aruba core switches 8360V2 and we have configure MLAG. all VLAN configured on Core switches .

Gateway side we hv done the Bond configuration on both GW.

I hv attached my setup diagram below , also i forget to mention that i am using Ipsec blade and mobile blade 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I have bunch of colleagues who deal with Aruba constantly (I personally dont as much), but I always hear them talk about igmp snooping. Maybe something you can verify if its enabled. Obviously, if you have multicast traffic on your network, that needs to be enabled, otherwise, probably not.

Andy

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

I'm not sure the bonds are so relevant here but you can check to ensure the hashing mode aligns.

Per the sk article I referenced above Load-sharing cluster mode isn't compatible with all vendors switches, you may need to implement some changes.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
VIKAS_SINGH
Explorer

Hi, 

I hv one query ,i hv gone through some documents from checkpoint that Load sharing will not work when Ipsec and Mobile blade enable...is it true? or ?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Please see sk101539 for more information, some limitations are version specific.

Also worth mentioning to keep an eye out for  ElasticXL with R82 in terms of load-sharing capabilities.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Hey @VIKAS_SINGH 

Were you able to get any traction on this issue?

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
VIKAS_SINGH
Explorer

HI,

Its running setup so not able to do any troubleshooting , i will get time on weekend only . will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Legend Legend
Legend

Most L3 routers (not L2 switches) will refuse to cache a multicast MAC address received in an ARP reply so you will probably need to hardcode this on all L3 devices surrounding the gateway.

For your L2 switches, not all switches will handle multicast MAC addresses correctly, and will not consistently forward traffic bound for a multicast MAC to all the proper ports.  Once again, hardcoding the multicast MACs at the switch level may be required.  To summarize:

MULTICAST MACs = HARDCODING PAIN & SUFFERING

When taking your tcpdumps, make sure to include the -e option so you can see the Layer 2 MAC addresses.  

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events