Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matlu
Advisor

Blocking by AntiBot blade.

Hello,

I have a question.

I have a traffic that I see in the "log" is being allowed (Action:Detect), but I can't understand "why".
According to the "Profile" defined, the traffic should be "blocked", but in the log, I can see that the traffic is being allowed, and that should not happen, or am I misinterpreting the log?

AB3.pngAB2.pngAB1.png

I want to first understand exactly the log, because my ultimate goal is to "block" traffic from the LAN to the domain "christoher-pelletier.mykajabi.com".

Blocking it by an access rule, or by FQDN, I don't think is an option.

Can you please guide me?

Regards.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Make sure in gateway object setting is set to "according to policy"

Best,

Andy

Matlu
Advisor

Andy,

I have just checked my Cluster object. I found that it is set to "Detect Only".

AB4.png

So, the custom rules are going to be ignored, as long as I don't change the behaviour in the "Cluster object", right?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats right.

0 Kudos
Matlu
Advisor

Hey Bro

What would be the best practice to block a domain like the one I exposed in this post, if the customer still decides not to modify the behavior of the Antibot&Antivirus on the Cluster object (they still want this behavior to stay in Detect mode)?

Is it advisable to block this URL by a FQDN rule (using DOMAINS objects), or is it better to work with the URLF blade?

Greetings.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Best practice is best practice...

FQDN objects and URLF are different approaches.

The later would use a site/category approach.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Depends who you ask, I guess. Chris is right, its different approaches. I always do it with URLF blade.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Legend Legend
Legend

Try to use Custom Site/Application objects whenever possible instead of Domain objects.  Only time you should be using Domain objects is if the URL filtering blade is not enabled on the gateway.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Matlu
Advisor

The "Domain Objects" depend on the Blade Firewall, then?

Does the effectiveness of working "URL" "Blocking" with "Domain Objects" depend on DNS?

Greetings.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Legend Legend
Legend

Yes Domain objects are part of the firewall blade, in R80+ for FQDN's it relies on forward DNS lookups, for non-FQDN it relies on reverse DNS lookups which can still be problematic and should be avoided where possible.  Custom URL/Site objects match the actual URL site name for HTTP, or the SNI (Server Name Indication) for HTTPS via the URL Filtering blade.  For performance reasons you should try to avoid using the "*" character in Custom Site/URL objects, see here for more detail: Custom Sites and RegExp Wildcard Efficiency

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Matlu
Advisor

Hello, my friend.

Happy 2024 🙂

I have a curiosity, even if I create explicit rules in the Threat Prevention layer, if my Cluster object is still in "Detect Only" mode, the Firewall will completely ignore my explicit rules, right?

Greetings.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Feliz ano nuevo!

YES 🙂

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events