cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Appliance root partition

I wonder if there's still a reason to cap root partition at 32G on appliances, when open servers can be adjusted during installation.

For instance, I've been installing a large VSX environment with high-end appliances fitted with reasonable SSD drives and with a mix of blades the root partition is already almost full while /var/log will barely be used.

Consider this:

Filesystem                       Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_current   32G   31G  1.8G  95% /
/dev/md0                         291M   62M  214M  23% /boot
tmpfs                             47G  141M   47G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log      292G   21G  272G   7% /var/log
cgroup                            47G     0   47G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

I had a discussion with PS folks who told me that some blades share components or online updates so they're sort of active even if not all blades are active on all VS and in the case of VSX some of these components are duplicated by design on each VS which can lead to that kind of situation. But I've also seen non-VSX installations nearing full capacity when all blades are active over time, and I'm speaking of latest OS versions and hotfix.

1 Reply
Oliver_Fink
Advisor
Advisor

That is a question I asked myself many times in the past. On a VSX cluster of one customer we see:

• / = 32 G, free 8.2 G
  • /var/log = 150 G, free 79 G
  • Snapshots = > 600 G (Snapshot size < 28 G)

I have no need for > 20 snapshots, but more than 8 G on / sometimes would be helpful. There is space enough for 50 G, 64 G or even 100 G for /.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events