Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrDazana
Contributor
Jump to solution

vpn-1 server could not find any certificate to use for IKE

Hi all, 

I can't figure out what's going on and I hope someone here can help me. I have a 1570 with VPN blade active. My users are getting the following error msg "vpn-1 server could not find any certificate to use for IKE" when connecting with the checkpoint vpn client on mac or windows. 

If I replace the certificate, they can connect but later get the error msg above  when they reconnect. 

If I reboot the router, it works fine, but then later fails with the same error  on top when they reconnect. 

I have 2 sites connecting to site to site and they work fine. 

firmware version of the checkpoint is R81.10 (996000575)

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MrDazana
Contributor

Adding more info here as I just realized something and might be onto something. When installing the client, we are proposed 3 options and the last 2 are handled differently by the firewall. This issue I'm having is with the 3rd option "SecureRemote" Basic Remote Access Client. When this connects,  it connects to Mobile Access, which oddly enough is disabled on my firewall on the vpn blade but still allows me to connect. This also doesn't show me as connected in connected VPN users. Also, the ip address my client was getting  was from my ISP modem 192.168.99.xxx even though the WAN port was set to PPPOE.

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture3.JPG

I uninstalled the client and reinstalled with the second option " Check point Mobile". This Version connects me to the firewall with no issues and I can see my user connected under Connected remote users. It also uses the configuration of the vpn blade for ip addressing ( 172.16.10.xxx) 

@Dale_LobbWhich option did you select ?

View solution in original post

38 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Typically this error does point to an issue with the certificates. 

Out of interest which VPN client version is used here?

The newer R81.10.05 firmware (sk179797) is also  worth considering if you want to exhaust options before consulting TAC.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

I was using 86.50 and just upgraded to 86.80 with the same issue. Interesting enough, I reinitialized the internal certificate and it works for 3 mins then fails again. If I disable and reenable the the VPN blade, it works then fails 3 mins later

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

One of my customers had same issue 2 years ago and this is what TAC recommended to fix it and worked fine. IF you do this, MAKE SURE to back up everything (mgmt, gateways), just in case.

Process:

1. Open Guidbedit to network_objects -> Gateway_Object -> VPN -> isakmp.authmethods - Change "signatures" to "pre-shared". - Save and exit Guidbedit.2. Open Guidbedit to network_objects -> Gateway_Object -> find certificates section - Find defaultCert then right click and delete the cert, and save changes and close 3. Check to see if default cert is gone in SmartConsole - gateway object - IPsec VPN - Create a new cert - Install policy4. Open Guidbedit to network_objects -> Gateway_Object -> VPN -> isakmp.authmethods - Change "pre-shared" to "signatures" - Save and exit Guidbedit. - Install policy5. Test VPN connection

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

For context is the appliance locally or centrally managed?

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

Managed Locally

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Nm then, process I gave wont apply, as guidbedit would not even come into place, since management part does not even exists. Personally, I would get on the phone and work with TAC, it sounds like a pretty serious issue that needs a remote session.

0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

Ok Contacting TAC requires a subscription or contract support of some kind ?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Correct, the same contract provides entitlements to software downloads / version upgrades.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats right...without it, they cant even open the case in the first place. Do you have a partner that you deal with that can open a case for you or no?

0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

I just called my partner and they will send me info to get added to their account to open TAC. In the meantime. I'm resetting factory and going to test where it messes up and post my results here as well as contacting TAC 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats a very good idea. Im sure if you factory reset an appliance, it will most likely work. I did some research for you before, but could not find much sadly on the issue you had. Since I dont have embedded gaia appliance to test anything myself, it would be very hard to say for sure why the issue happened in the first place.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

In case you had not started reset yet, would you mind send us the screenshot of vpn certs showing in the GUI?

Andy

0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

Reset already done 😕 I do have a backup of the device though

After resetting, I've had no issues and the clients can connect way after 3 mins. 

It worth noting that I followed the link that phoneboy left in the issue I was having last Saturday which foxed that issue.

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/SMB-Gateways-Spark/Odd-behavior-using-pppoe-on-Fibre/m-p/170349#...

Other than that, nothing really fancy as setup wise on my end . Simple 3 vlan setup, 5 users for vpn and 2 site to site links

MrDazana
Contributor

Spoke to soon , it just failed again 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Can you attach a backup, I can check tomorrow. By the way, sorry for my ignorance, Im not overly familiar with these embedded gaia appliances, but if you go to remote access vpn section, does it give a list of the vpn certs there?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Good deal. Well, everyone knows phoneboy is right 99.999% of the time...only time I recall he was wrong was when he said that jumbo hotfixes are included in fw backup, other than that, cant ever remember him being wrong : -)

0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

here is the capture of the vpn cert

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Question...can you make sure users actually see the fingerprint when they connect to the site that matches one from the screenshot? Well, technically, they should ONLY see it the first time when creating a site before connecting.

0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

I have a laptop beside me and I can confirm the thumbprint is correct

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The general fix for this issue appears to be going to Device > Certificates > Internal Certificate in the WebUI and click on Reinitialize Certificates.
That happens naturally when you factory reset the device.
I've also seen TAC cases that suggest the underlying issue may be a bug and there is a fix available.
Obviously, you can only open a TAC case if you have a support agreement (either directly or through your partner).

0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

The fix works, but only temporary. I'm about to go back to version R80.20.15 (992001653) which is the factory defaults. 

Hoping to have access to TAC soon. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Since your device is locally managed, you might see if an fw_configload (from expert mode) also resolves the problem temporarily.
This is similar to what @Dale_Lobb is doing by pushing the policy from central management.

0 Kudos
Dale_Lobb
Advisor

I have a similar issue with a pair of centrally managed 1550s running R80.20.50, operating in a ClusterXL cluster.  The cluster is used for remote access for a small number of users via the Checkpoint mobile client.  Every 3 to 11 days, all the clients start getting the exact same error.  In my case, since the pair are centrally managed, pushing policy to them restarts the firewall daemon and resets the clock on the issue.  So, we are proactively pushing policy to the cluster every three days to forestall angry users.

I had an open TAC case about the issue, which went on for several weeks before auto-closing without a resolution.  The case's next steps would have me update the appliances to R81 to see if that fixes the issue, which I'm willing to do, but first have to arrange to upgrade our management system to R81, which is not quite as easy as upgrading the appliances.  The fact that your appliance is already running R81 gives me some pause.

I am very much interested in what your outcome with TAC will be; please, please keep us posted on the findings.  I realize our issues are not exactly alike, but hopefully there will be some cross-application.  Hopefully I will get the time to upgrade our central management in the next week or two, and then i will reopen our TAC case. 

0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

I would wait before applying the R81 update to the device. I just reverted back to R80.20.50 and connected to PPPOE and everything is working flawlessly. Have a look at the link I posted above about an issue that Ponyboy help me resolve for this week. Reverting back seems to have resolved my issue with my VPN client for now. 

Your device is a 1550 and my older device is a 1530 and I never had that issue with VPN or my site to site. I don't have it setup in a cluster either. I will keep updates to this post should I have a desire to pursue R81

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats interesting, because Im sure if this was a known issue in R81 version, everyone who upgraded would have had this problem. Let us know what TAC says if you end up opening a case about it.

0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

I didn't upgrade a configured checkpoint though. I started from scratch. The upgrade was done as soon as I was done the first configure stage. Who knows, but this week I wasn't impressed with it 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Its is fairly new, lets hope all the bugs with it are fixed soon, we shall see : - )

0 Kudos
MrDazana
Contributor

Went to bed last night feeling like a guinea pig. I troubleshot that issue all week thinking it was  a Mac issue. Its not always the best to upgrade right away. 

As of this morning, users are coming in with no browsing issues, and all connecting with the VPN client.

I also received my link to activate my account for TAC access and I get an error from their website site that they can't process my request. Click here to activate your account. Then it just loops with e-mails.

/facepalm

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Just to make sure we got all the facts straight, as they say : - ). So, currently firmware is R80.20.50 and users connect to the site fine and stay connected, no issues?

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events