Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alexander_Urits
Contributor
Jump to solution

VPN access restriction based on domain membership

Hi.

I'm looking for an option to restrict VPN access only for laptops which are "domain members".

Is there a way to accomplish that? (All PCs/Part of them?)

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Abd_S81
Participant

Hi Konstantinos

I finally got this working with SCV by using the below option. Please note when we login to our machines, based on the GPO we are placed under Users Group which has a AD group for domain users called "ABC\Domain Users", where ABC is your company domain. Unfortunately there was not a lot of documentation and examples of groupmonitor in either the admin guides, endpoint guides etc, but is working fine with this option below. This is a pretty strong SCV check and hard to fake compared to reg keys or process monitor checks (my 2 cents...)

: (groupmonitor

:type (plugin)

:parameters (

:"builtin\Administrators" (false)

:"builtin\Users=YOURCOMPANY\Domain Users" (true)

:begin_admin (admin)

:send_log (alert)

:mismatchmessage ("Make sure you are logged on as an authorized user.")

:securely_configured_no_active_user (false)

:end (admin)

)

)

Make sure to add this in the end for it to be effective,

:SCVPolicy (

: (groupmonitor)

)

View solution in original post

Abd_S81
Participant

the group monitor syntax above is correct, however I noticed it was not giving consistent results since that setting gets updated/created when user logs in and was taking a while, in the mean time if the Checkpoint VPN is launched the compliance will fail. Instead of spending more time on it, I ended up with creating additional registry settings, one for domain check as below and few other "secret" entries that is unique to your company and custom which can be applied via GPO to all users. The logic will be true for all the entries.

:string ("SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Domain=your_company_domain")

:string ("SOFTWARE\ABC_COMPANY\Loadset\Global\Build\Version>=911")

etc etc......

In addition we did the LDAP integration for the gateway, where the VPN matching criteria in the access role is users=your_company_domain only. This way even if registry and process checks are spoofed via scv, the source identity will restrict network access, besides the VPN authentication to the gateway with or without MFA.  

To summarize for a good overall secure solution :-),

a. scv checks based on registry and process (works perfectly fine for large number of users)

b. authentication to gateway using MFA

c. access role rule with source identity as domain users only matching remote access VPN criteria > in-line rules to grant specific network access

View solution in original post

20 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Yes, there's an option in the Endpoint Security VPN client called "Secure Configuration Verification" (SCV).

One of the checks you can configure is "Verifies that the user logged into the operating system and is a member of specified Domain User Groups."

That should meet your specific requirement.

Note this only applies to Windows PCs as the Mac VPN client does not support these checks.

Refer to: Remote Access VPN R80.10 (Part of Check Point Infinity) 

Alexander_Urits
Contributor

Thanks.

Two additional questions:

1. Does that require specific VPN client license/flavor?

2. How do I enforce that only this type of client can connect?

TIA

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It requires the Endpoint Security VPN client, which requires a remote access VPN license for each user that connects.

In terms of our current Endpoint licenses, this includes:

• Endpoint Access Control
  • Endpoint Complete

However, other legacy licenses may include this .

If you have questions about this, reach out to your Check Point account team or Partner.

The procedure for enforcing that only that client can connect includes:

• Defining the SCV policy appropriately
  • Preventing clients that are NOT Endpoint Security VPN from connecting

This should be covered in the documentation I linked previously.

0 Kudos
Alexander_Urits
Contributor

Apparently SCV policy is a global property, and if the customer has more than one gateway or more different policies for different type of users it's not possible, at least I couldn't find any documentation on this and support guys didn't also.

Anyone who has any field experience with the SCV policy, please comment.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Darran_Lebas
Participant

Hi Alex,

Did you manage to accomplish this in the end?

0 Kudos
Alexander_Urits
Contributor

Hi Darran. 

Unfortunately there was no workaround. 

I was forced to implement this for all the gateways. 

Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
mahendran_B1
Explorer

Hi 

can we restrict with windows domain member for example  : allow the only machine which is in abc.com & sampla.com

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Yes, please see the docs I linked previously.
0 Kudos
mahendran_B
Explorer

Hi

By group monitor, we can restrict allow only based on domain member.At endpoint side, the secure client is enough or i need to install endpoint security. 

0 Kudos
mahendran_B
Explorer

HI

Can you please confirm below configuration for domain monitor in local.scv file.

:begin_or (or1)
:begin_and (1)
:mydomian.com (true)
:end (1)
:end (or1)
:mismatchmessage ("You are using SecureClient with a non-authorized user.\nMake sure you are logged on as an authorized user.")
)
)

0 Kudos
Konstantinos_In
Contributor
Hello mahendran_B

The options you have are the below. Did you finally configured it?

:begin_or (or1)
:begin_and (1)
:"builtin\administrator" (false)
:"BUILTIN\Users" (true)
:end (1)
:begin_and (2)
:"builtin\administrator" (true)
:"BUILTIN\Users" (false)
:end (and2)
:end (or1)
:mismatchmessage ("You are using SecureClient with a non-authorized user.\nMake sure you are logged on as an authorized user.")
)
)
0 Kudos
Abd_S81
Participant

Hi Konstantinos

I finally got this working with SCV by using the below option. Please note when we login to our machines, based on the GPO we are placed under Users Group which has a AD group for domain users called "ABC\Domain Users", where ABC is your company domain. Unfortunately there was not a lot of documentation and examples of groupmonitor in either the admin guides, endpoint guides etc, but is working fine with this option below. This is a pretty strong SCV check and hard to fake compared to reg keys or process monitor checks (my 2 cents...)

:"builtin\Administrators" (false)

:"builtin\Users=YOURCOMPANY\Domain Users" (true)

:mismatchmessage ("Make sure you are logged on as an authorized user.")

)

)

Make sure to add this in the end for it to be effective,

:SCVPolicy (

: (groupmonitor)

)

Konstantinos_In
Contributor

Hello

Thank you for your response 🙂 .We are in the same page.

It is not very hard to fake the domain if you create a domain controller and a same domain name with the corporate you want to "attack".

As concerns processes just a rename does the bypass..

As concerns registry key i don't know if there is a way to find somehow the "required" keys in order to connect and pass compliance "client side"

BR,

Kostas

0 Kudos
Myx
Participant

i'm also struggling with ad scv at the moment. did you find any documentation on this topic, or where do you have your syntax from?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Myx
Participant

thank you for your fast reply. i've already seen the domain check via registry. but i thought the check via the groupmonitor was a bit more secure.

0 Kudos
Abd_S81
Participant

the group monitor syntax above is correct, however I noticed it was not giving consistent results since that setting gets updated/created when user logs in and was taking a while, in the mean time if the Checkpoint VPN is launched the compliance will fail. Instead of spending more time on it, I ended up with creating additional registry settings, one for domain check as below and few other "secret" entries that is unique to your company and custom which can be applied via GPO to all users. The logic will be true for all the entries.

:string ("SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Domain=your_company_domain")

:string ("SOFTWARE\ABC_COMPANY\Loadset\Global\Build\Version>=911")

etc etc......

In addition we did the LDAP integration for the gateway, where the VPN matching criteria in the access role is users=your_company_domain only. This way even if registry and process checks are spoofed via scv, the source identity will restrict network access, besides the VPN authentication to the gateway with or without MFA.  

To summarize for a good overall secure solution :-),

a. scv checks based on registry and process (works perfectly fine for large number of users)

b. authentication to gateway using MFA

c. access role rule with source identity as domain users only matching remote access VPN criteria > in-line rules to grant specific network access

Gaurav_Pandya
Advisor

Hi,

Other way of achieving your requirement (Only Domain users can connect remote VPN) is that you can enable Mobile access blade and create Native application for Domain check.

You need to enable Endpoint security scan check in Mobile access blade and create Native application for Domain check.

This is long process but it is very stable. I have enabled this scenario for one customer and it is working fine.

shenderson
Participant

What I need to is to only allow domain users to connect to VPN who are using corporate machines. Mac and Linux machines would be great but I at least need to check the Windows machines which will be joined to our corporate domain. 

0 Kudos
Sanjay_S
Advisor
Hi Gaurav,
I have the same issue, i am not able to create Native Application for Domain Check. Can i have the steps to do it? Can you guide me from Native Applications step because i can see this option but not sure how to create Domain Check.
Many thanks in advance.
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events