Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant

When Will SmartConsole Support In-Place Updates?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have used CheckPoint since 2005 and I'm now pretty sure, that CheckPoint hates SmartConsole users, as in year 2019 it's impossible to upgrade CheckPoint SmartConsole, without uninstalling old CheckPoint SmartConsole. And in year 2019 this uninstalling does not give any option to save settings and fingerprints, like for example Juniper -s Pulse does.
Uninstalling CheckPoint console removes all settings and fingerprints but of course it does not remove installation folder C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\R80.10 and later on new installer then gives error - "The installation directory provided is not empty and might contain previous installation files. To proceed with the installation, please clean this directory or select an empty folder".

Really? In year 2019 I must do it manually? What do you CP guys smoke? Investigated this a bit and it finally turned out, that folder C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\R80.10 contained one empty folder "PROGRAM". After manually removing C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\R80.10 folder, installer was happy.

But I'm not happy, as the console thinks I'm using it first time, so I must add all settings, again. Accept all servers fingerprints, again. Close the boring popup notifications, again. Etc. And as CheckPoint keeps constantly upgrade SmartConsole, I must deal with this installer issue quite often.

Conclusion - in year 2019 we are paying huge money to CheckPoint and in return we're getting lousy product and for comparision freeware tools can create better windows installer packages with better logic, but CheckPoint can't or won't.

63 Replies
Highlighted
Employee++
Employee++

Hi,

Adding @Tomer_Noy and @Alon_Alapi 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Admin
Admin

There have been some internal EAs of this, but I don't think it's quite ready for GA yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee+
Employee+

Indeed. We did a few initial EAs, but got some negative feedback on aspects of how it behaves. 

It's important to us to meet the expectations and requirements of the field and take that feedback seriously. Unfortunately, to resolve those issues, we need to take apart something at core of the implementation, so it's setting us back. 

I will update once we have something to share, and hopefully open the next iteration to EAs with Check Mates contributers.

Once available, we still plan to release this package for existing versions (such as R80.40 and soon R81). We will not wait for the next maintrain.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee+
Employee+

I'm glad to share a positive update 😀

After some redesign, we improved the implementation and are ready to share the updatable SmartConsole as a public EA and get wider feedback from the field.

You can grab the R81 updatable SmartConsole in this post:
https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Management-Topics/Updatable-SmartConsole-Early-Availabil... 

Even if you don't have an R81 Management Server, you can launch it and connect to Demo Mode. You will still experience the auto-update flow.

Please share your feedback on that post to help us reach GA quickly.

As discussed before, we will make R80.40 updatable as well.