cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigHec
Contributor

Why does the SmartView monitor did not show connected VPN users

Hi All,

I would like to ask why does the SmartView monitor did not show any of the connected VPN user here? This is a lab testing environment.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 153301.png

Meanwhile, this is what i got from another firewall and management. This is the production environment.

1.png

Do someone know why is it like this? Any special settings or configuration need to be done? In my lab environment i had enable the "Monitoring" blade too.

Thank you

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Amir_Senn
Employee
Employee

Is monitoring blade turned on?

Kind regards, Amir Senn
0 Kudos
BigHec
Contributor

Hi @Amir_Senn,

Yes, the monitoring blade is turned on in both of the environments mentioned in the post.

Thank you

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Hm, thats odd...I have it enabled in the lab and shows my vpn user okay. Maybe do cpstop; cpstart or reboot the mgmt?

Andy

0 Kudos
BigHec
Contributor

Will give it a try to do cpstop;cpstart or reboot the mgmt.

But may I ask is there any more blades need to enable other than the Monitoring Blade? Or there are other settings that need to enable too?

Thank you 

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Nope, nothing else.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Just did quick test in the lab, worked fine. Dont worry about 2nd entry, thats the IP from FortiSASE connection, just first one, but it is 100% right, as I changed office mode net to 172.22.10.0/24 subnet, as our lab is 172.16.10.0/24

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Btw, also tested in distributed R81.10 and R81.20 labs, no issues, all shows as intended when monitoring blade is enabled on the gateways.

If you need help, happy to show you my lab(s)

Andy

0 Kudos
BigHec
Contributor

Hi @the_rock,

Can you show me your lab too for me to have a look on it?

I can show you my settings for the Management(VM) and also the Gateway(Appliance).
Lab1.png
Lab2.png

The Gateway and Management are distributed with version R81.20 and latest recommend hotfix installed.

For Gateway, I only enabled the IPSec VPN, Mobile Access and Monitoring blades as I just wanted to test the User Monitoring Feature in the SmartView Monitor.

Lab3.pngBut tested still the same not showing the connected users.

Thank you

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Sure, we can do it Tuesday, just ping me directly.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Some suggestions BEFORE we do remote...

1) Uncheck monitoring blade, push policy, recheck blade, push policy again

2) If 1 fails, try install database from smart console

3) If 2 fails, do cpstop; cpstart from mgmt expert mode

4) if all those fail, reboot the mgmt

5) if 1-4 fail, reboot the gateway itself

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
BigHec
Contributor

Hi @the_rock,

For what I thought is that when a user connected to the VPN without initiating any traffic, the SmartView Monitor will show the connected user. For my case that I'm unable to see any connected VPN user is because after I connect to the VPN, I did not initiate any traffic.

Just now I tried to connect to the VPN and initiate any traffic connections, the SmartView Monitor did show out the connected VPN user afterwards.

10.png

So the connected VPN users need to access or initiates any connections for the monitoring to show the connected VPN user.

Thank you for your time and the help on this.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

100% it WILL show it when connected and NOT initiate the traffic, thats exactly how I been testing it in my lab.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

As a matter of fact, just tested it again and without sending any traffic, my user shows connected.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events