Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Cook
Explorer

Utilizing Log Storage on Disk Larger Than 2TB

I'm working on deploying a management server on an open server, Dell R730, with more disk that the 2TB limit for GAIA.  I installed & configured GAIA on a 1.5TB disk, and then I created a second 13TB disk in Dell storage management.  I've followed the steps in sk61081 to create a new GPT disk with the EXT3 file system. 

What I'm looking for assistance with is how do I get the management server to use this new disk space for log storage?  If possible I'd like to use disk space from both the 1.5TB and 13TB drives for log storage.

Lastly, are there any caveats with future upgrades, backup, other maintenance that we should be aware of after making changes to utilize the additional disk space for log storage?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_Taney
Advisor

Does Managing partition sizes via LVM manager on Gaia OS help you? 

If the disk space shows up as free, I think you can now use the LVM manager to expand the existing volumes to use that space.

Hope this helps!

R80 CCSA / CCSE
0 Kudos
Jason_Cook
Explorer

LVM manager is not an option to utilize the additional disk space because the disk added exceeds the 2TB limit.

I worked with a CP SE this afternoon, and here's the answers/solution that we came up with:

1. With the current Linux kernel version we cannot configure log storage to utilize space on both the install disk and the additional disk that's greater than 2TB.

2. After completing the steps to create & mount the >2TB disk in sk61081, then we need to follow the steps in sk66003 to change path used to store the firewall log files using the symbolic link method.

Caution/Warning:  If a software version upgrade is completed on this system, the /etc/fstab file will be overwritten and logs will be directed back to the default location.  So after the version upgrade the mount & fstab steps in sk61081, and removal of the default directory and creation of the symbolic link steps in sk66003 will need to be recreated.

Daniel_Taney
Advisor

Good to know! Thanks for providing all this detail. I'm sure I'll hit this issue at some point!

R80 CCSA / CCSE
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)