cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cuacahattan
Explorer

Upgade Hotfix R81.10

Hi there

We are running management server R81.10 with hotfix R81 take 44. We want to try upgrade to hotfix R81.10 take 38. Will this work and support? Please your advice

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Can you clarify, is your Gateway R81 as T44 is not an available JHF for R81.10?

Note JHF T38 is an ongoing take, not yet GA.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
cuacahattan
Explorer

Hi @Chris_Atkinson 

My SMS is R81 JH take 44.

We get suggest to try upgrade JH T38 to solved my issue. I read for T38 is to version R81.10. Is will compatible? 

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

The package is not compatible by itself, you will need to upgrade major version to R81.10 + JHF T38.

Depending on the specific issue you're facing it may also be resolved in an upcoming JHF for your current version.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Chris is correct...you absolutely can NOT install jumbo of higher version onto lower code, it would never work. You would have to install R81.10 and then jumbo take 38 on top of it.

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Totally agree!
The correct approach here upgrade to R81.10 then install the latest GA Take (yes you can go with ongoing as well, but TAC will always recommend GA).

Personally - I would snapshot, uninstall R81 Jumbo, then cpuse upgrade to R81.10 then install the Jumbo.

Alternatively if there is a specific bug you want fixing determine if this is available for R81 and then install this instead.

Tsahi_Etziony
Employee
Employee

The process is much simpler - no need to uninstall the R81 Jumbo since the upgrade is on a new partition, and no need to create a snapshot, since the upgrade leaves the old partition as a snapshot. Plus, upgrading to R81.10 with the latest GA jumbo is just one click of a button away - R81.10 with the latest GA jumbo is always available as a single Blink image. 

One more thing:
I think there is some confusion in this thread about the Jumbo take and the release version. R81 Jumbos can only be installed on top of R81, and R81.10 Jumbos can only installed on top of R81.10. usually the take numbers of higher version jumbos will be smaller because they started their development later. 
To be sure there is an alignment of all the required fixes before the upgrade, you can go SK164258 and check 

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

ok - I know of a VSX setup where it was upgraded from R80.10, to R80.30, then to R81, all the Jumbos are still installed and eating diskspace, hence unless a new jumbo or newer version of Checkpoint correctly uninstalls previous jumbo I think its better to uninstall the Jumbo first.  There is really no right or wrong here, just preference based on local installation considerations.

One thing I have noted ina recent migration attempt:

When from R80.30 > R81.10 clean build so I can use xfs. Then had to do a full rollback which meant restoring  snapshot I took.  This failed (after it spent 2.5hrs uploading and then importing into the repository for restore).

I found out after (and I have sent my observations to TAC) is that the snapshot could not restore due to the xfs filesystem, even if I did a clean install of R80.30 using the T200.iso, so watch out for this.

Gregory_Azratz
Employee
Employee

Hi @genisis__ ,
regarding the jumbo packages - you are correct the installed content from previous version will take space
we leave it in case you want to revert to older snapshot.
we do have a way to delete old packages.

another case why its not that recommended to uninstall the "old" jumbo before installing the new is - in case you need to uninstall the "new" jumbo -  your machine will be more secured/up to date than the clean (GA) version

regarding the file system, you are correct you cannot downgrade file system - so going back to older version will require clean  install from ISO and only then importing the snapshot.
As Gaia snapshot is not a full machine replica - we take the root partition content + some items from the log partition

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

While I agree with bot of you, I have to give my honest opinion / feedback. I can see where @genisis__ is coming from. Personally, I had problems with these things before and fixing them is not always an easy task, to say the least. I really wish there was an easier way to simply be able to remove the hotfix if traffic issues arise, but as we all very well know, say if customer had custom fixes installed for whatever reason, removing regular jumbo can be somewhat difficult, thats all.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events