cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruan_Kotze
Advisor

Transfer Policies between R77.30 and R80.10

Hi Everyone,

I have a scenario where we have an existing R77.30 cluster and a couple of standalone branch Gateways (r77.20) being managed by an R77.30 SMS.  We've purchased an additional two gateways, but due to regulatory requirements we need these to be managed by a separate SMS.  Obviously we'll go R80.10 for the new cluster and GW.

This is all simple enough, but we want to copy our existing policies and objects from the R77.30 SMS to the new R80.10 one.  My plan is as follows:

1.  Do advanced upgrade with DB migration to pull everything accross to the R80.10 SMS

2.  Start up the R80.10 SMS in a isolated network (no access to any of the existing Gateways) and delete the existing R77.30 gateways and all references to them from the policies, VPN Communities etc.

3.  Save all changes

4.  Hook R80.10 back up to production network and build a new cluster with my R80.10 gateways

5.  Push policy

My main priority is obviously not to impact or disrupt anything on the existing R77.30 SMS and gateways.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

9 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

To me, that sounds like a reasonable approach.

Note that by default the existing gateways should not reach out to the new management.

Obviously if you were to push policy from the new management... that would change Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ruan_Kotze
Advisor

Thanks Dameon, I appreciate the feedback - that was my understanding also but nice to have confirmation.

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

did that exactly as explained except my case has MDSM not MDS Smiley Happy and it took me 7 days to get all up&running for my Customer.

Good stuff!

Jerry

Jerry
0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

You probably wanted to say, "not SMS".

Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

yes indeed Valeri - MDS = SMS in my vocabulary

Jerry
0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

MDS is the old name of MDSM, hence some confusion in the comments

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

correct - don’t even start about inheritance of Provider-1 ... 😛

Jerry
0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

We do not avoid hard topics on CheckMates, so you should not hold anything back, my friend

Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

I won't mate, I won't Smiley Happy 

Cheers

ps. SMS acronym came back from the grave, it's been widely used long before R77 then stopped because of the MDS/MDSM and now it's back - quite a story isn't it Valeri?

have a lovely day folks !

Jerry

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events