Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danny_Philipse
Explorer

Should I upgrade a Smart-1 210 to R80.10

We have a Smart-1 210 appliance with default 8GB RAM that runs on R77.30. This SMS is managing a VSX cluster which consist of two VSX Gateways and with two Virtual Systems. I do not have a seperate logserver  so the appliance will run as SMS and logserver. I would like to migrate to R80.10 but are there prerformance concerns?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EdesLC
Collaborator

Take a look at this document:

http://dl3.checkpoint.com/paid/c0/c0c8724b067c5de5081bc1492a27cc98/CP_R80.10_ReleaseNotes.pdf?HashKe... 

PAGE 12

* Smart-1 25b, 205, and 210 appliances with default memory can run Security Management OR
Log Server OR SmartEvent.
** We recommend that you upgrade the memory of Smart-1 205 to 16GB as part of the upgrade to
R80.10.
*** Smart-1 210 with memory extension to 16GB can run Security Management AND/OR Log
Server AND/OR SmartEvent.

Edes Leandro Cardoso.

KennyManrique
Advisor

Hello Danny,

From my personal experience, Smart-1 210 works fine with R80.X as management only (and peraphs SmartLog too) with its default RAM.

To me, the main problem was when SmartEvent was enabled, which gave some performance issues (specially with RAM). As Check Point recommends on R80.10 release notes:

If you want to execute Management, SmartLog and SmartEvent; definitely you should upgrade the RAM to 16 GB. Otherwise you can run only one of the three (without affecting performance).

This is the SKU for RAM upgrade: CPAC-RAM16GB-SM205/210

Regards.

Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

It really depends on the complexity of the rulebase, number of objects and number of logs but I would probably stay away with only 8GB of ram. Sorry if it's not good news. R80.10 is definitely more CPU and RAM hungry due to the all new gadgets

To be more constructive, check your CPU and RAM usage currently and of its not too loaded you should be ok. 

We were forced to quadruple VM power to run R80.10

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events