cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J_Saun
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resize R80 partition

I am trying to resize one of my paritions because it keeps complaining that /opt is low on space.

I followed the instructions in the link below:

https://www.51sec.org/2014/08/resize-checkpoint-firewalls-diskpartition-space-gaia-and-splat-platfor... 

Step 4 worked - lvresize -L 11G vg_splat/lv_current

But step 5 gives me the following error:

[Expert@r80_mgr:0]# resize2fs /dev/vg_splat-lv_current
resize2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
open: No such file or directory while opening /dev/vg_splat-lv_current

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
James_Liao
Participant

you can use xfs_growfs /dev/vg_splat/lv_current instead of resize2fs /dev/vg_splat/lv_current after R80.3 later

View solution in original post

(1)
cejeofobiri
Explorer

I know this thread is quite old but I think my input might help someone out there.

Firstly, You got that error because  you did not reference the full file path : /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log.  

So the command should be below.

[Expert@r80_mgr:0]# resize2fs /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log

Secondly if that command does not work and comes up with the error: 

"resize2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock."

Use this command instead: xfx_growfs

[Expert@r80_mgr:0]#xfs_growfs /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26305376/resize2fs-bad-magic-number-in-super-block-while-trying-...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Vladimir
Champion
Champion
0 Kudos
Kim_Moberg
Advisor
0 Kudos
J_Saun
Contributor

Tired both and had no luck. Ended up building a new R80.20 Manager with a bigger HD. The good thing is I learned how easy it is to backup and restore a Checkpoint Manager. Worked without issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions/help

0 Kudos
Jesse_Wittsche
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Check out the following sk131332 How to resize XFS partitions in R80.20 

"R80.20 has moved from the ext3 file system to the XFS file system for its lv_log and lv_current partitions. Resize2fs does not work on XFS. As a result, you will not be able to add disk space as per sk114115"

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader
Both these SK's seem to be restricted to CP employee's; can these be made public?
0 Kudos
Trevor_Bruss
Contributor

Is there a problem with getting to that SK article? I keep getting the error 

Error encountered processing a template.

I'd really like to read the document as I have a partition I'd like to resize but I don't want to mess it up.

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

It still not working for me, I can't see any reason why this should not be visible, can CP please explain why this is not accessible?

0 Kudos
Ronen_Zel
Mod
Mod

Hi,

sk95566 is open to every logged in user. I just checked it again and did not experience any issues. If you are logged in with your User Center credentials and still experience the issue, even when trying using an incognito window (to rule out cache issues) , please contact me privately (rzel@checkpoint.com) and we will get to the bottom of it.

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

sk131332 - is not accessible.

0 Kudos
Ronen_Zel
Mod
Mod

Hi,

sk131332 was deleted on April 2019 since it was wrong and misleading. Did you encounter a reference to it recently? If so can you share where?

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Great, thanks.  That explains things.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Can confirm, used lvm_manager two weeks ago on R80.40 to grow the /var/log partition and it worked fine.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Timothy - thanks for the confirmation, I assume as this is xfs filesystem this would imply R81.x would also work, and the same consideration applies i.e. you can increase diskspace only.

0 Kudos
Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor
it's "/dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_current"
0 Kudos
iuqam
Explorer

because this commande       resize2fs /dev/vg_splat-lv_current       is not correct

the correct command is        resize2fs /dev/vg_splat/lv_current

James_Liao
Participant

you can use xfs_growfs /dev/vg_splat/lv_current instead of resize2fs /dev/vg_splat/lv_current after R80.3 later

(1)
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

as Checkpoint seem to tease with the SK (but not actually let us have access to it), would it not be simpler to just update the lvm_manager tool so we could carry on using this (or does this just work, not personally tried it)

0 Kudos
cejeofobiri
Explorer

I know this thread is quite old but I think my input might help someone out there.

Firstly, You got that error because  you did not reference the full file path : /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log.  

So the command should be below.

[Expert@r80_mgr:0]# resize2fs /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log

Secondly if that command does not work and comes up with the error: 

"resize2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock."

Use this command instead: xfx_growfs

[Expert@r80_mgr:0]#xfs_growfs /dev/mapper/vg_splat-lv_log

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26305376/resize2fs-bad-magic-number-in-super-block-while-trying-...

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events