cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon_Macpherso
Advisor

Resize Partition

Hello,

I need additional free space to take a snapshot prior to an upgrade to R81.10.

Is is possible to reduce a partition size to allocate additional space to free space? 

This does not appear to be possible through lvm_manager.  

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?action=portlets.SearchResultMainAction&eve...

Regards,

Simon

9 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats a tricky one...if lvm manager does not help, I would possibly try searching for large files that could be deleted, but other than that, cant think of anything else off the top of my head, but lets see if someone else has a good suggestion.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The default filesystem for management from R80.20 on Management and R80.40 on gateways is XFS, which does NOT allow filesystems to be shrunk.

0 Kudos
Simon_Macpherso
Advisor

Thanks for confirming this. I discovered this a bit later. 

0 Kudos
Boaz_Orshav
Employee
Employee

Notice that during upgrade the CPUSE takes a snapshot.

It actually keeps the current partition as a snapshot and installs the new version on a new partition.

Simon_Macpherso
Advisor

Is the upgrade partition utilized for the new version?

Is the current partition utilized for the snapshot then removed and space allocated to the upgrade partition upon successful completion of the upgrade? 

The lv_current partition is 96GB, the upgrade partition is 106GB.  

I decided to proceed with the upgrade without a current snapshot but encountered an issue when I ran the R81.10 install and upgrade package verification (attached).

I was not able to replicate this problem thereafter and the verification returns a successful result every time. At this point I decided reschedule the upgrade.  

Boaz_Orshav
Employee
Employee

Yes, the upgrade partition is utilized for the new version

The current partition which becomes a snapshot is not deleted after the upgrade since it allows you a fast revert in case it's required even though the installation passed.

You need to delete the snapshot manually when you are confident in the new version and sure you won't need to revert

Simon_Macpherso
Advisor

So would there need to be the equivalent (or greater) of the used space current partition size in unused space available for the snapshot of the current partition?

Is it possible to revert to that snapshot in the scenario the upgrade fails? 

If so this would mean a taking a manual snapshot prior to the upgrade is not necessarily required? 

Or is it only possible to revert to a manual snapshot?

Are you aware of any bugs with deployment agent build 2113 that might explain the issue encountered?  I'm upgrading from R80.40 take 294. 

0 Kudos
Boaz_Orshav
Employee
Employee

The required size indeed is same as current.
In case of upgrade failure the revert is automatic. You will not need to revert it.
I don't see a reason to take manual snapshot before upgrade.
In order to check the issue you encountered - it will be great if you can run "da_cli collect_logs" and send me the tgz it creates (it's all the verify/install logs) to boazo@checkpoint.com

0 Kudos
Simon_Macpherso
Advisor

Will do.

If the lack of required space in current is related to the error shown in the screenshot, it's odd that it states unable to find required un-partitioned space. It's also odd the verification is now consistently passing.  

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events