cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuart_Green
Collaborator

R80.20 mds_backup fails

Hi,

I've got an issue with an R80.20 MDS server in that it just will not perform a backup.  This is to provide TAC with a backup to troubleshoot an issue where some domains just don't install policy and none of the other fixes (fix_mirrors.sh et al) haven't worked at all.

The last entry in the log of mds_backup is:

CPmds-R80.20/customers/[customer-site]/CPsuite-R80.20/fw1/log/2019-01-27_000000.log

/opt/CPmds-R80.20/system/shared/gtar: /tmp/cpmdr/backup/mds_backup_logs.tar: Wrote only 2048 of 10240 bytes

/opt/CPmds-R80.20/system/shared/gtar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

mds_backup> Deleting temporary Multi-Domain Server backup files

Starting Multi-Domain Server Processes...

mds_backup> Backing-up the Multi-Domain Server failed.

mds_backup> Cannot proceed with backup of the Multi-Domain Server

I've checked disk space and that's not an issue.

Any ideas?

TIA

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

What directory are you running the mds_backup from?

Run the mds_backup command from a location outside the product directory tree to be backed up. This becomes the working directory.

0 Kudos
Stuart_Green
Collaborator

Thanks.

It's been run from expert user's home directory - haven't had a problem running it from there before.

I've specified the backup directory to be in /tmp/cpmdr/backup/ so it should be writing to that, shouldn't it?

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

I'd feel more comfortable running it from /var/log/ and using it as a destination as well.

I believe that if you do not indicate the path, it will happen automatically (please verify).

0 Kudos
Stuart_Green
Collaborator

I'll give it a whirl - df didn't indicate any disk space issues...

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Keep in mind that the discspace you need is about 4-6 times the size of the backup file. First of all the files are copied, then they are added to a tar file and finally compressed. In the final stage the file is moved to the indicated location.

Regards, Maarten
Stuart_Green
Collaborator

Thanks Maarten,

That's helpful - it looks like that's what was happening.  I thought that it was compressed as it went but watching df indicates otherwise...

Every day is a school day!

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events