Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kurzon
Participant

Monitoring - System History - Average CPU utilization?

Hello,

I am trying to display the historical CPU usage. It shows Low, Peak and Average utilization but I am not exactly sure what this actually represents. The box is multi-core, so for example, is the average utilization showing the data for all the cores? Or the peak value means it is the highest CPU utilization of any core?

And according to sk98013, it is not possible to monitor CPU utilization per VS, is that still the case? I can not display any data per VS, but VS 0 shows everything.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

It is indeed tough cookie  and that's one of the reasons why i personally prefer tinkering with manual CoreXL allocation - it allows me to map VS fwk vs specific CPU cores and subsequently I can have a good historical data on VS CPU usage. Downside - not everyone likes messing with affinities 🙂

You can read more on affinities in Performance Tuning Admin guide or i did a presentation long long ago 

https://community.checkpoint.com/fyrhh23835/attachments/fyrhh23835/member-exclusives/224/1/VSX%20per...

kurzon
Participant

Thank you. This is a very nice presentation indeed. But even if I distribute the cores manually and map them to specific VSs, how will I find any historical data regarding the CPU utilization?

SmartView Monitor shows a single CPU stat which I don't know what it represents. Cpview is better but then again, I couldn't find core-based historical data there either.

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Oh, we always have used external monitoring systems and collecting stats using SNMP. There are bunch you can get off-shelf or build your own for free, i.e good old MRTG 🙂 

kurzon
Participant

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Henrik_Noerr1
Advisor

Hey,

You can monitor each individual VS and their processes with CHECKPOINT-MIB::fwInstancesCPU

This will tell you the load for each fwk which should be the most interesting - telling you the load on each corexl instance.

The above is available in r80.40

Regards,

Henrik

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events