Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eran_Habad
Employee
Employee

Management JHF - Did You Know?

Hi everyone,

My name is @Eran_Habad and I’m a manager in Check Point’s R&D. My group is responsible for the core I/S and APIs of the Management Server.

Following several recent conversations with customers, I would like to provide some information and shatter few myths regarding the JHF of the Management:

1. A new take of the JHF is usually released every few weeks (ideally) with a list of fixes that can be seen in the JHF SK according to the relevant version: R80.10, R80.20, R80.30, R80.40.
  2. Every new JHF take is first released as Ongoing for early adoption, and later becomes recommended for General Availability. You can find all information in the JHF SK.
  3. You can install a new JHF on the Management Server regardless of the Gateway. There’s no requirement to align the Management and Gateway to use the same JHF take.
  4. However, we do require all Management machines to have the same JHF take.
  5. There is a JHF package for the SmartConsole as well, yet there’s no dependency between the Management Server and the SmartConole. You can use a different take of the JHF for each.
  6. Installing a JHF is not a Management upgrade! The installation of a JHF on the Management is simple, doesn’t perform any changes in DB and is only replacing specific binaries with new fixes.
  7. We strongly recommend that our customers install the latest recommended GA JHF on a regular basis, even without the need for a specific fix. The reason is that the JHF accumulates fixes for known issues that could be prevented upfront if installed.

I’m also tagging @Tomer_Noy, R&D Director of Management Products and @Miri_Ofir, R&D Group Manager responsible for Customer Success & CFG.

All of us would be happy to answer any further questions regarding the Management JHF and to get ideas for improving the JHF adoption and installation.

Regards, Eran

6 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Good information the community can use.
Garrett_DirSec
Advisor

Hello -- Great information.  sincere thanks for the post.   Note:  we in region exclusively use term "HFA" vs "JHA". 

topics... 

1.  curious why individual hot fixes block installation of JHA and/or require a specific JHA release to be installed?
  2. Do you foresee a future when hotfix blocks/etc go away (with micro services architecture, etc)?
  3. when is JHA release #1 going to be available for R80.30? Honestly, this is the litmus test we use when recommending a new platform release to customers.

Thanks -GA

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

1. A JHF and individual hotfixes can touch the same files. Before fixes can be integrated into a JHF, they have to meet certain criteria. Likewise, some fixes are on top of fixes applied in a JHF, thus there are dependencies.
  2. I suspect this is something that will be addressed longer-term, but don't know the specifics.
  3. The first Ongoing JHF for R80.30 was released yesterday. See: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Great info! Thank you for sharing.

Please answer this: If I recall correctly, some of the Ongoing JHFAs are required to be uninstalled before the next version is installed. Why not include removal of the intermediate Ongoing JHFA in to the installation logic of the next one?

Regards,

Vladimir

Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

Note that there were some recent improvements in the CPUSE DA JHF installation.

In the past, installing a new JHF involved uninstalling the current JHF in the background. This had several drawbacks such as extra time to perform the uninstall and potentially going back to the vanilla GA if the new JHF failed to install.

Another drawback was that if you installed an private / specific HF that depended on a certain JHF build, we couldn't uninstall the existing JHF in order to install the new one. That was the case even if the private HF fix was included in the next JHF. The customer still had to manually uninstall the private HF to allow the JHF installation to proceed.

In the new mechanism, the next JHF is installed on top of the existing JHF without uninstalling it. This means that if a private HF fix is included in the next JHF, you don't need to uninstall it manually anymore. We will recognize the situation and let you proceed. Also, uninstalling a JHF will bring you back to the JHF you had before, instead of to the clean vanilla state.

This was great work by @Tsahi_Etziony and @Lior_Manor .

The DA is auto-updatable, so everyone should get it automatically (assuming they didn't turn off the auto-update).

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Hi Tomer and thank you for this info.

These are welcome changes indeed. I have noticed the DA becoming Auto Updatable or giving us the opportunity to do so from Web UI manually.

As to compatibility with custom or private HFs, this seems to be a work in progress. As per sk113410:

"Future Jumbo takes might include content that will conflict with this Hotfix. Installing such a Jumbo take on a system with this hotfix, will fail with an appropriate error. In such a case, please contact Check Point Support."

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events