cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

MDS performance on R80.20 or above with xfs

Just wondering - whats the general feeling regarding R80.20 MDS file system for those who have upgraded from R80.10 and EXT3 - is the XFS filesystem faster and more efficient? We will be upgrading shortly from R80.10 (current take level) and were hoping for some increased performance in disk read/write.

4 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

From what I've been told, xfs is faster/more efficient than ext3.
Have not seen any specific performance data, though.
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

It's interesting as when i run some basic dd commands to compare two (existing production VM with R80.10 / ext3 and newly built VM running R80.20 with xfs, both exactly the same VMs parameter wise), it was rather mix bag of results - large files seemed to perform better on ext3 whilst smaller on xfs. That's why I wanted to ask as we will be upgrading shortly.
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

My understanding is that XFS is well-suited for handling a large number of threads trying to access the disk path simultaneously (parallelized access via allocation groups ensures multiple threads can perform I/O simultaneously on the same volume).  This is constantly the case on an SMS/MDS with incoming firewall logs being written, SOLR log indexing, SmartEvent correlation, security policy configuration-related postgres database operations, etc.  XFS is also optimized for working with very large files (like postgres database extents) and works especially well with SSDs which are starting to become more and more common on Check Point appliances. 

It is doubtful that a single dd I/O operation will reflect these XFS advantages.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Upgraded our MDSes a week ago. One thing definitely stands out - creating and restoring backups. Not only that backup size has reduced but also seems that disk read/write has much better performance at least in this area.  😎

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events