Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor

How to make sure a scheduled backup is possible

If we have scheduled backup configured in clish on a SmartCenter or MultiDomain installation the backup can't be done if GUI clients are connected:

/var/log/messages shows:

scheduled_backup: set_binding: Failed to set one binding: :backup:start:local : error = Can not start the operation. You should disconnect all GUI Clients from this SmartCenter.  ; val=(nil)

In R77.x there was a tool called disconnect_client.

But what's the best way to achieve the same on R80.x

14 Replies
Vincent_Bacher
Advisor
Advisor

Just restart fwm?  

cpwd_admin stop -name FWM
cpwd_admin start -name FWM -path "$FWDIR/bin/fwm" -command "fwm"

After that, all clients should be disconnected.

But there should be better solutions Smiley Happy 

and now to something completely different - CCVS, CCAS, CCTE, CCCS, CCSM elite
0 Kudos
Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor

I used „fw kill fwm“ on R77.x before I knew disconnect_client, but this cause core dump on cpsemd...

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Pandya
Advisor

Hi Norbert,

I have read the sk65146. In R77.x, when we connect smart dashboard in write mode, it locks management database. This problem overcome in R80. So there is no need to run any command to unlock database in R80.

I have not checked but we can test to run scheduled backup in R80 when dashboard is open.

0 Kudos
Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor

My /var/log/messages output is from a blocked scheduled backup on R80.10 SmartCenter!

In R77.x it was not blocked but it could have a corruption, I think this is meant with fixed in R80.x, because it gets blocked, so no corruption can happen!

Huseyin_Rencber
Collaborator

In R77.x there is a "send_command"  tool for this purpose. But the tool does not exist anymore in R80.x. In R80.10 we can use smart console sessions tab. 

Commands that can be used with this tool:

• connected_clients
  • kill_clients [-n] <session id> .... <session id>

Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor

This doesn't help, because I can't use a script to kill sessions in R80.x!

0 Kudos
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor

Whis this, I can only logout my own session.

I want to kill/logout/disconnect all sessions, so scheduled backup can run propery!

0 Kudos
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

there are API commands for "switch session" and "view sessions" if the user has the permissions to manage other administrators.

Collaborator

switch-session cannot be used with active sessions so it will not work to disconnect a user that left his SmartConsole opened overnight (which tends to be all the time with R80 now that it doesn't lock other users).

I know that in the new API v1.2 there is take-over-session which seems to solve the issue but as far as I understand we are stuck with API v1.1 on R80.10 so is there any way to do something like this in R80.10 ?

0 Kudos
Don_Paterson
Advisor

Is there any improvement on this?

I find that in R80.10 the Gaia Scheduled Backup will often fail on an SMS with the SmartConsole left open and connected to that SMS (but not always).

Don

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Pandya
Advisor

Correct. This is really big issue for schedule backup. 

In R80, there are more sessions in write mode so they keep dashboard open and schedule backup fails.

0 Kudos
Marko_Keca
Contributor

Maybe this will help:

Unable to discard / disconnect a session in SmartConsole 

This can be scripted.

Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

I found scriptable solutions to discard sessions in sk133872 and sk113955.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events