Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silesio
Contributor

How To's: Backup on GAIA OS

Hi there, in this post we’re going to use GAIA different backup and restore options for Security Management and for Security Gateways.

We’ll use the table below as a reference for the backup options:

b0.png

Let’s start with last column. by log in into the security gateway, and run the command save configuration A-GW-01-202010

We can confirm the file was generated successfully by looking at the home directory of the user.

If something happens to the running configuration or we want to upload the file to a new gateway or security management server, we simply run the command load configuration A-GW-01-202010. Take a look at the image below as an example:

b01.png

As for the migrate export/import option, we have to run it in expert mode only, using the command ./migrate export A-SMS-BACKUP-202010 inside the folder $FWDIR/bin/upgrade_tools or just call the script $FWDIR/bin/upgrade_tools/./migrate  in case you are in a different folder:

b1.JPG

Once the back up finishes, we can see that the file size is bigger than the previous one.

size.png

Now we can send the backup file to the destined server (new management server) and import the backup by running the command ./migrate import A-SMS-BACKUP-202010.

b2.JPG

This process will take some time so, be patient. Once it finishes successfully, it will prompt to enable the Check Point services.

b3.JPG

As for system backup I'll reference the links below, because I found them very clear and easy to understand.

System Backup

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?action=portlets.SearchResultMainAction&eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solutionid=sk91400  

Snapshot

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.40/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.40_Gaia_AdminGuide/Content/Topics-GAG/Snapshot-Management-Prerequisites.htm?tocpath=Maintenance%7CSnapshot%20Management%7C_____2 

Hope you enjoyed this post, leave your comments below and I'll see you on the next post.

3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It's probably a good idea to leverage all of these backup methods, not just one for a specific use case.
This is because...stuff happens and you never know when you might have to take a different approach to recover.

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

This tool creates a backup of all GAIA gateway configurations with one CLI command "ebackup":

- Only one CLI command "ebackup"
- Backup of all Gaia gateway configurations (Check Point appliances, Open Server, SMB appliances 11xx, 14xx)
- Migrate export on SMS
- Migrate-server on MDS
- Backup all files to one TGZ file
- FTP upload support backup file
- CP upload support for backup file via cprid_util

More read here:

Easy Backup Tool - (migrate export + all GAIA configs)

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
rlamerico
Contributor

Hello @HeikoAnkenbrand ,

I am testing your script, to restore this backup in another device, Can we use the command /migrate import file.tgz_gerenate_by_script ?

I know that is necessary unzip the file generate first than import in another device.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events