cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc0523
Participant

Forcing Comments in Rulebase

Hi Guys.

For auditing reasons my company needs a comment for every rule in the rule base.

The issue is a lot of staff don't put them in, meaning I have to add them before an audit.

Is there any option I can enable to enforce the comment field before a rule can be added?

If not, could we look into getting this feature added to future versions?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
delToro1
Contributor

Hello,

Maybe you can achieve it using Smart Tasks in SmartConsole. 

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81_SecurityManagement_AdminGuide/Topi...

BR!

0 Kudos
Marc0523
Participant

Never knew this existed!

Smart Tasks could trigger a script to check, but I'd still need the script. Writing one which checked for comments in all rule bases is beyond me.

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

SmartTasks in our Toolbox.
You can easily go from there and adjust those to your needs.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You would actually check the rules modified by the current session to see if they have a comment or not.
However, if you're looking for an out-of-the-box feature, then you should use Compliance Blade which has this built in.

0 Kudos
Paul_Warnagiris
Advisor

I don't like this.  Every auditor checks for this and you get dinged without it.  This is such a simple thing to do and every other FW vendor allows this.  The compliance work around is not an answer its a band aid.  How hard is it to get an RFE for this considering its a standard requirement, best practice and basic good hygiene?

the_rock
Legend
Legend

You are correct in saying other fw vendors allow it, BUT, there is a hack to get around it, an easy one too, mind you : - )

Andy

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

RFE process is well known, please discuss with your local SE.

With R81.20 the SmartWorkflow / Approval Cycle could also help if you have challenges with change management policy conformance, please refer: https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81.20/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81.20_SecurityManagement_AdminGuid...

Further more, you can enforce session descriptions should you so choose.

Navigate to Advance Session settings and check the "All Session must have a name and description" check box. 

See also: https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/SmartTasks/Session-description-check/td-p/177546

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Paul_Warnagiris
Advisor

Will do.  Because something that should be a simple click box is turned into a whole new workflow doesn't make sense and its not a good answer.  I could live with the session enforcement mechanism if it could enforce rule comments.  That would be an acceptable work around.  But to create a 7 step work flow and require multiple people to do something that a click box could accomplish is silly. 

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

To confirm you are already using the Compliance Blade?

compliance comment.jpg

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
Marc0523
Participant

Sadly no, we don’t have the compliance blade. 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

You can apply eval and test it for 30 days.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Let me test this in my lab, I believe it can be achieved with compliance blade as Chris indicated.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

K, got it, here is what you need to do. I attached all the screenshots to this reply.

Best,

Andy

Marc0523
Participant

This looks perfect, but involves the compliance blade. 
I’ll have to see if we are allowed to purchase it. 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Im sure if you approached your local Sales person, they would be willing to help you out with this. Compliance blade is really good, I strongly recommend it.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi Andy, does this work for all policy types?

• Access Control
  • NAT
  • Threat Prevention
  • HTTPS Inspection
  • Mobile Access
  • DLP

etc.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Hey Danny,

I tested it yesterday and worked for any rule type, correct.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events