Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_Hagyard
Advisor
Jump to solution

Disable expert mode audit log/notification nagware/adware

With reference to sk181230 and the following FAQ lines:

7. Can I permanently disable the pop-up from being displayed?

Not for now. We encourage our customers to strengthen their security.

I should not need to be spammed every month (the longest it will let you pause the popups). We monitor our systems carefully, and we have no desire to use the Infinity Portal. In some environments there is no direct Internet connection.

Is there a section in the product license that says "You agree that we can nag you about things and you can't disable that nagging"?

This is nagware/adware - please get rid of it.

expert_mode_nagware.png

(1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Editing the relevant user.config files to disable this should work (thanks @Paul_Hagyard )
That means:

• Finding all instances of expertModePopupRemindDate in user.config files on the SmartConsole PC. This can be easily done in Windows using the CLI command: findstr /m /s "expertModePopupRemindDate" "C:\Users\user.config"
  • Changing the value for this option in each of these files to a date sufficiently in the future (like 2014662651247, which is ~10 years away).

As for a more permanent solution, this is being discussed on R&D at present. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

While I do remember seeing what you saw the first time I got into R81.20 after upgrading SmartConsole, this time, I was presented with the following:

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 6.59.31 PM.png

And yes, you are asked to confirm after No, thank you is pressed and there's a "don't ask me again" checkbox.
However, even with this, I am still prompted every time I open SmartConsole.
Paging @Tal_Paz-Fridman
Recommend a TAC case: https://help.checkpoint.com 

PNH
Participant

Agree, customers pay millions for enterprise software and then have to get annoyed endlessly by such noise.

But since it has a setting to remind you again in a month, it has to store that somewhere, so

some kind of workaround maybe:

Open SmartConsole, ask the popup to remind you in 1 month and say no thanks to it, then close SmartConsole

Then in Smart Console config usually in c:\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Check Point\R81.??\SmartConsole\UserSettings\

look for file named "user.config" i subdirectories for relevant login user (and domain if you use multi domain)

It is an XML file.

In there increase the first digit by a few in the setting named:

expertModePopupRemindDate

(i guess this is windows time in milliseconds for when next time it should nag you)

But it does not seem totally consistent, so who knows..

(1)
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I wish there was a simple way to get rid of these pop-ups...

Kind regards,

Andy

Paul_Hagyard
Advisor

Nice catch. It's the number of milliseconds since the epoch (1970-01-01 UTC) to when it will next ask.

My file contained "1701860400000"

Using date on the SC server with three zeros removed:

[Expert@host:0]# date --date='@1701860400'
Thu Dec 7 00:00:00 NZDT 2023
[Expert@host:0]#

One month from today, when it asked me.

Get a date in milliseconds that's 10 years away 🙂

[Expert@host:0]# date -d "now + 3650 days" +"%s%3N"
[Expert@host:0]#

I opened and closed SmartConsole a couple of times and the value seems to have stuck.

Duane_Toler
Advisor

All mine were set to "-1" for that key value.   I made them all 2014662651247.  I tested one and I didn't get nagged! Thanks @Paul_Hagyard 

0 Kudos
Harald_Hansen
Advisor
Advisor

Still intensely dissatisfying that we have to implement this hack on every computer with SmartConsole installed. I use many different instances of SmartConsole at various customers and cannot implement this everywhere. 

Check Point should be better than this, this is not WinRAR or other shareware/nagware.

(1)
Paul_Hagyard
Advisor

I was thinking about writing a simple Powershell script to find and replace, but for now the following (from a cmd prompt) finds any user.config file under C:\Users containing the string expertModePopupRemindDate. You can copy/paste the resulting strings into notepad file/open.

C:\Users\someuser>findstr /m /s "expertModePopupRemindDate" "C:\Users\user.config"
C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Check Point\R81.20\SmartConsole\UserSettings\<a SC user>\<a SC IP address>\SMC User\user.config
C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Check Point\R81.20\SmartConsole\UserSettings\<another SC user>\<another SC server name>\SMC User\user.config

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Im totally with you on this one @Paul_Hagyard . I cant seem to get rid of it either in my R81.20 lab, though I am running latest smart console.

Andy

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

There is another one of these that pops up in the R81.20 SmartConsole whenever you disable a Threat Prevention blade, trying to quiz you about why you disabled it and sending your response to Check Point.  Annoying.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Omg...that one is sooo ANNOYING 🤣

0 Kudos
Harald_Hansen
Advisor
Advisor

I concur.

These prompts belong in adware ridden mobile games, not in professional security software. Nagging will end up in the negative column when customers are renewing security solutions. 

There are many of these prompts I think Check Point (and others like Microsoft) should rethink. 

Paul_Hagyard
Advisor

I've had multiple customers asking about this lately. My response is that the Check Point SK article says it cannot be disabled and they should raise a complaint with their Check Point account manager.

Can someone from Check Point address this? It's not a good look at all.

Martin_Raska
Advisor
Advisor

I am also annoyed by this pop-up. Please get rid of it in the next update of SmartConsole, because it's a totally missed intention, and the reputation of Check Point is going down.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

I agree 100%, should be easy to do this from smart console itself, rather than having to modify bunch of files.

Andy

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Editing the relevant user.config files to disable this should work (thanks @Paul_Hagyard )
That means:

• Finding all instances of expertModePopupRemindDate in user.config files on the SmartConsole PC. This can be easily done in Windows using the CLI command: findstr /m /s "expertModePopupRemindDate" "C:\Users\user.config"
  • Changing the value for this option in each of these files to a date sufficiently in the future (like 2014662651247, which is ~10 years away).

0 Kudos
S_E_
Advisor

@PhoneBoy wrote:

Hi, are there any news from R&D how to get permanently rid of these messages?

We are still prompted every time opening SmartConsole. For every MDS domain...

Do you think an RFE would help? 

Regards

0 Kudos
Youssef_Obeidal
Employee
Employee

Hi, last week, a fix was delivered to prevent this popup from being prompted every time SmartConsole opens.

now, it should say, "Remind me in one month" for the first time, and after a month, it should show "Don't show it again"

to verify you have the latest fix, run the following on your management server :

cpinfo -y CPUpdates | grep BUNDLE_WEBCONSOLE_AUTOUPDATE 

the fix included in take 97

Harald_Hansen
Advisor
Advisor

This is a decent start.

It is still not good enough for the complex/large customers, so please fix this by removing all nag screens (including Whats New) for Multi Domain Deployments and deployments with multiple high end devices. That should be an indication the environment is administered by experienced people and thus is an annoyance, not an advantage.

It could be solved by making all these nag screens optional in a global setting on the SmartCenter/MDS server.

Best regards,
Harald

(1)
Martin_Raska
Advisor
Advisor

I fully agree.

S_E_
Advisor

hi

MDS-01# cpinfo -y all | grep CONSOLE

This is Check Point CPinfo Build 914000239 for GAIA
HOTFIX_WEBCONSOLE_AUTOUPDATE
BUNDLE_WEBCONSOLE_AUTOUPDATE Take: 97

Regards

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events