cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VincentBacher
Participant

Direct management upgrade from R77.30 to R80.40

Hello mates,

did anybody already upgraded a management server (not MDS) directly from R77.30 to R80.40 using the new migration tool.

I was told that it should be done first upgrading to R80.10 using clean install and migrate export/import and then from R80.10 to R80.40 using the new management migration tool.
This is to be sure that everything works.

Or is anybody out there confirming that direct upgrade using migration tools on a VM SMS works fine?

regards
Vincent

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

I cannot speak for SMS at the moment but I did try a CMA where I was trying to migrate directly to a R80.40 but had some other issues there.
The Installation and Upgrade guide is clear, it should work!

Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
mdjmcnally
Advisor

Also if you use the Upgrade Wizard to select as if doing an inplace upgrade as in

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doShowupgradewizard

Then if you select R77.30 Management to R80.40 Management then doesn't show any intermediate steps being needed.

This to me indicates that Check Point don't see any issues with a direct upgrade path from 77.30 to 80.40.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

And on top of that, if there would be any in between version it certainly would not be R80.10 but R80.30 as the latter has proven to be the best path from R77.30 to R80.x in the last couple of months in several migrations and upgrades.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Direct Upgrade is supported - I refer you to the Release Notes:

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.40/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.40_RN/Content/Topics/Supported-...

Also, it is always better to upgrade to the newer version that includes improvements and resolved issues.

James_Liao
Participant

I try to upgrade SMS from R77.20 to R80.40 directly , the import operation was completed and succeed , after I login to SMS , I got some Validation error below , it mean the procedure can be  succeed , but need to do something to fix errors

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

A direct upgrade from R77.30 to R80.40 is indeed supported, both in migration or in-place CPUSE upgrade.

R80.x is more strict in making sure that data is correct, so some customers upgrading from R7x may encounter validations that need to be corrected. This is the same regardless of which R80.x version you upgrade to.

Note that in future versions another "stop" may be required to upgrade. This will allow us to focus on the newer versions and new content, instead of multiple legacy upgrade paths. When this happens, it will be recommended to upgrade to the latest supported version, then do the next hop to the final target version.

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

We have a number of R77.30 GWs that need to be upgraded to R80.40,  some are single units, others are cluster.  We need to ensure zero downtime as well.  Has anyone done inline upgrades found this to work?

Things like mac_magic issues, does Multi Version Cluster work as an example.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events