cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Horne
Advisor

Central Deployment Upgrades a Cluster - Full Connectivity Upgrade

Hello All,

I am investigating the installation of hotfixes via the Smart Console and have come across one confusing piece of information. I assume there is just a unintentional use of words.  When I looked at how the central upgrade is done for a cluster it mentions that is used a "Full Connectivity Upgrade":

upgrade.png

Operationally I have been following the "Zero Downtime upgrade" process for upgrading a Security Gateway Cluster. I wanted to understand the difference between :Full Connectivity" and "Zero Downtime".  Found something in the SK107042 that confused me: ClusterXL upgrade methods and paths (checkpoint.com)

types.png

Full Connectivity Upgrade seems to be obsolete since a very long time.

For deploying hotfixes and upgrades centrally does "Full Connectivity Upgrade" = "Zero Downtime"?

Many thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
5 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Personally, never tried this method...I always stick with zero downtime upgrade method, as it never failed for me.

Scott_Paisley
Advisor

We have our clusters set for 'Switch to higher priority cluster member' upon cluster member recovery.

In R81, when you do a version upgrade from smartconsole, it upgrades the standby member, fails over traffic, upgrades the other member, and fails back.

In R81.10 this is no longer a permitted configuration. The upgrade from smartconsole will fail unless you turn off the cluster setting.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I had seen so many issues with that setting, not only with CP, but other vendors as well, so I avoid it.

0 Kudos
Scott_Paisley
Advisor

That is the default setting across our entire estate. There was a good reason for doing it 5 years ago, but maybe we need to revisit it now.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I understand. Personally, I find it used to work better in older versions though.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events