Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Petar_Markota
Employee Employee
Employee
Jump to solution

CPViewer - visualize your cpview/cpinfo files in 5 minutes

What is CPViewer?

CPViewer is an open-source community tool which simplifies the way to get a very detailed visual insights into:

1) Exported cpview histories with charts related to CPU, memory, connections and packet rates, throughputs, RX&TX drops etc. using the visualization metrics tool called Grafana;

2) OS analysis (.info file) - healthcheck (sk121447) report for "known issues" and "things not to miss";

The tool comes within an .ova (exported VM) with everything already preconfigured.

The main benefits are:

• analyzing and identifying performance bottlenecks in minutes

• user-friendly: just upload it to web-site (no docker or other components needed) 

• Integrated OS analysis tool for richer results (healthcheck script)

• available to both customers and partners

CPViewer .ova file download - HERE.

CPViewer guide - HERE.

How to use it?

Video below explains all you need to do to get CPViewer up and running - 5 simple steps:

Written step by step guide:

1. Import the VM:

a. Download and import OVA image into your VMWare environment – DOWNLOAD LINK.

b. VM’s network adapter is set to NAT, it has IPv4 – 10.8.0.15, default gw – 10.8.0.2 and DNS – 8.8.8.8 predefined already, but you can adjust this by your needs;

c. Adjust your VMWare NAT adapter;

d. Credentials:
- Grafana: admin/Vpn123!

*NOTE: Your VM must have internet access if you want to use GDrive download functionality.

2. Working with CPViewer portal:

a. CPViewer portal can process two types of data:

1) CPInfo files (contains cpinfo and cpview files) -> you will get 2 reports, grafana cpview insights and cpinfo OS analysis report (in separate tab);

2) CPView (.dat or .gz – with .dat in it) files only;

*NOTE: In case you are using type 1, please be aware that you need to either configure your browser to allow pop-ups for http://10.8.0.15:80 in order to get the CPInfo healthcheck report. Other option is just to go to http://10.8.0.15/healthcheck_reports manually and select a report you need.

b. After setting up the VM, open any browser and go to CPViewer portal -> http://10.8.0.15.

Select upload method:

1) Manual/attachment upload: you can submit .dat or .gz file (which contains .dat);

2) Google link (server will automatically download file from GDrive). In this case solid upload link is highly recommended;

*NOTE: You can pick one of the two methods, not both at the same time;

c. Enter customer`s name (this will be used for name db and datasource of cpview; d. Select version from which cpview was exported – R77.30 – R80.10 or R80.20+;

e. If you did all of the above, select the submit button and wait for your reports to get created;

*NOTE: Speed of the processing will depetend on the size of the file (upload time + querying/healthcheck.sh execution through the .dat/.info and taking all the relevant info).

3. After you get redirected to Grafana you will be able to see your cpview visualized through graphs focused on different parameters. In case you uploaded CPInfo file you will also get GW`s healthcheck report in a separate tab.

Few useful GrafanaUI details:

- Top left corner – selected datasource (datasources will automatically be deleted on weekly basis);

- On menu at the far left you will be able to see possible dashboards (do not need to be changed since everything related to your cpview is automatically provisioned);

- Top right corner – time span which we are looking into (this is also automatically set from the first to the last timestmmp from your cpview);

- When clicking on different views you will be able to adjust some parameters or queries according to your needs;

*NOTE: All datasources – their dbs and healthcheck reports are being automatically deleted every Monday at midnight. If you do not want this – enter crontab using command crontab – e from CLI, erase the camm of deleteALL.php and/or delete_hc.sh script/s and save it. 

*DISCLAIMER - This open source tool is provided “As Is”.  No representations or warranties are provided with the use of this tool.

(1)
103 Replies
Jeremy_Sinai
Employee
Employee

thanks a lot!

I

0 Kudos
MarkWeber
Employee
Employee

For exporting the graphs you can use Grafana Reporter which can be found here: https://github.com/IzakMarais/reporter

MarkWeber
Employee
Employee

As an addition to the CPViewer, you can use the Reporter tool mentioned below to make PDF reports out of the Grafana graphs

CheckPoint_2021.03.19_12h03m50s_004.jpg

You use it on Linux or within docker as a container and connect to your Grafana (CPViewer)

More information on: https://github.com/IzakMarais/reporter

(1)
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

This does not seem straightforward to install.

Need to install 'go' and then then instructions basically do not work, is their a step-by-step guide on installing and using this?

0 Kudos
kadar
Participant

Hello Mark.

I believe that saving reports as PDF requires Grafana Enterprise. Also version 5 is really old and a lot of the APIs don't really work the same anymore. Have you made any tests with version 7.x ?

0 Kudos
Maria_Pologova
Collaborator

Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help me to understand how to pin point this information in Interface Throughput graph with real interface names? (R80.40)

int.PNG

Petar_Markota
Employee Employee
Employee

Hi Maria,

Sorry for late reply. 

In R80.40 cpview DB structure is a bit changed and this is why you get the above values for if names. Anyways, I've released a new version of CPViewer back in May which should fix the issue. The download link has been updated.

0 Kudos
Baasanjargal_Ts
Advisor
Advisor

Hello.

Does this tool can be used with SMB appliances cpinfo file?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The cpinfo from an SMB appliance has different data in a different format.
Therefore, probably not, but try it and see 🙂

ggrab
Explorer

Hi @Petar_Markota !
Thank you for your tool! Sadly I've encountered an issue when uploading the CPView.dat file:

Capture.PNG

Can you help me here?
Thanks in advance!

Petar_Markota
Employee Employee
Employee

Hi @ggrab ,

This happens after you submit the .dat for processing? Also, what is it that you are submitting? Not sure why is there "insert" instead of the IP of the machine.

0 Kudos
ggrab
Explorer

Hi @Petar_Markota ,

thank you for your fast reply!
I get this error after submitting the cpview history database which i got from my R80.30SP gateway. (I tried both, uploading the .gz and the .dat file which leads to the same result)

1.PNG

0 Kudos
Petar_Markota
Employee Employee
Employee

That's strange. I also tested it out today on the export from R80.30SP and it worked well. Did you try downloading and importing fresh VM? Which browser are you using?

0 Kudos
Jarvis_Lin
Collaborator

Hi  Petar_Markota

Is it works at throughput on R81.10?
The throughput image is empty.

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

CPViewer has been advanced into Skyline (TechTalk, Toolbox).

_Val_
Admin
Admin

Please use Skyline for R81.10

0 Kudos
Christopher_To
Collaborator

Hi Val.  

Is there a way to view historical CPView data, specifically for R81.10 gateways?  

When I try and use CPViewer it does not work.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

@Christopher_To First, yes, it should work with this tool.

However, it is practically obsolete. You want to use either Skyline or Diagnostics Tool these days. Mind, CPVIEW only keeps one month of history. 

0 Kudos
Christopher_To
Collaborator

How do you upload historical CPView exported data into Skyline the deployment?  Can I upload directly to Prometheus or Grafana?

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

good question - I just created a VM, went through the installation process using the latest updated files, but this is all offline; it would be good to import data into Skyline to review the history information via the WEBUI frontend.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Skyline currently works with live data only (not cpview historical data).

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

That's a shame, it might be a good option to consider importing data for offline review.

0 Kudos
Christopher_To
Collaborator

@PhoneBoy I 2nd this.  Can this be added as an option?  

I tried to use CPViewer for historical CPView data from an R81.10 gateway and it just kept erroring out after trying to upload the .dat file.  Do you know if this is an issue because of the gateway version?  I will try again with CPView data from an R80.40 gateway.

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

I use this tool to visualize historical system data fast and easy.

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Nice Danny!

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

Hello Danny, the tool seems to be very cool, anyway data about cpu utilization seems to be misleading compared to cpviewer.

the tool divides system and user cpu utilization, cpviewer aggregates both data, and this is much more efficient for troubleshooting and to properly size a tech refresh

do you agree? ty

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

@Arik_Ovtracht are we looking at being able to replay cpview data through Skyline (to give some historical data)?

0 Kudos
Arik_Ovtracht
Employee
Employee

Yes, we have plans to create some kind of 'local Skyline' which would be available directly on the GWs. However, this is a very early idea, we have not started development on it.

Just to note - Skyline exports live data, but the exported data is saved on the external monitoring server (Prometheus database), and can be accessed from there indefinitely. 

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

You can use DiagnosticsView, sk125092, for historical analysis

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

hi all, any method to get the total throughput data?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events