Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George_Casper
Contributor

Application Control & URL Filtering version 1 month old?

Running on Smart1 management appliance with 15400 gateways, all R80.10 with the latest hotfixes.  Our Application Control & URL Filtering version is showing 81201808281051 (Created on: 8/28/2018 6:51 AM) of today October 1, 2018. Clicking update returns that it's up to date.  All licenses/contracts are good up until 2021. IPS, Anti-bot, & anti-virus blades are updating properly and all showing todays date or only a few days old at most

Checkpoint support engineer on another non-related case last week confirmed that his lab environment was showing the same almost 1 month old version at the time and "it must be the right version' when he clicked update it returned as up to date for him as well.

New to Checkpoint. Past several months since implementation I would see the App/URL version be 3 to 10 days behind but never this long.   Previously used Websense and used to getting daily database updates at a minimum.  We block uncategorized sites and the uptick in complaints from our users about being blocked from an uncategorized site has steadily increased the older this version gets.    I have hard time believing no new or recategorized URL's have occurred across the world in over a month.  Am I missing something that this database version is not what I think it is?

5 Replies
Ofir_Shikolski
Employee
Employee

You can get the updates for "Check Point Application Control Update"

AppWiki Mailing List | Check Point Software 

Even you can get the RSS: Check Point AppWiki Updates 

Updating the Application and URL Filtering Database:

By default, updates run on the Security Management Server and Security Gateways every two hours. You can change the update schedule or choose to manually update the management server. The updates are stored in a few files on each Security Gateway.

0 Kudos
George_Casper
Contributor

It is set to ever 2 hours.

0 Kudos
Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor

I assume the update timespamp refers to added/deleted categories and applications, so to objects you could use in policy (besides custom ones).

But I assume it doesn’t refer to URLs matching to categories.

0 Kudos
George_Casper
Contributor

My assumption, please correct me if I'm mistaken, is this is an actual database of URL's and their categories, not just the categories & application objects themselves.   Am I making an incorrect comparison to Checkpoint's URL filtering database update's to our old Websense URL filtering database updates?   If so where exactly do I check the what version/date of Checkpoint's URL database our Checkpoint gateways/management has downloaded?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

What is downloaded to the gateway is Application Control definitions.

URL Filtering hasn't maintained a local database for several versions now (going back to R75.10, I think).

All URLs are looked up via the cloud as needed.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events