Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Maestro uplink bond, mix media type?

Hello CheckMates,

is it supported to mix the media type of transceivers in a bond for uplink connection?

Meaning one with DAC and another with singlemode LR or any other combination.

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Of course it is. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to connect a MHO (dual-site) to a local and a remote core-switch for redundancy.
Therefore I'm running an uplink bond with these two connection types:

• CPAC-DAC-100G-5M -100GbE QSFP28 Direct Attach Copper Cable 5 Meter
  • CPAC-TR-100CWDM4 transceiver - QSFP28 transceiver module for 100G fiber ports CWDM4 2Km
0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Thanks @Danny 

Just to clarify, I want to know this for the connections to the external switch environment not the connectivity between MHO and gateways. 

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

As long as you speeds are the same, you should be just fine and connections between switches are just what they are, connections between switches. So if the switches support that, which I would expect they do, you should be in the clear.

Regards, Maarten
faridb
Employee
Employee

what if , customers is using 2 different model of switches on a single site ,one with 40G links and one with 10G links ? 

AFAIK, bonding with different link speed is not generally supported so what design should we recommend ?

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

I think, there isnˋt support for a bond interface with different speed .

2. One of the Bond requirements, is about the "Interface Speed" when both interfaces that are being used for the bond, must have the same Speed value.

That’s from an  older article SecureXL dropping traffic due to bond mis-configuration but I think it‘s still related.

Maybe an active/backup bond can work with different speed but never LACP, XOR type.

0 Kudos
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

As already stated, mixed speeds are not supported,  but mixed media types are. I also want to clarify that while using DAC for uplinks is supported from Check Point side, they are not necessarily supported by the third party switch. That's why we generally don't recommend using DACs for uplinks.

0 Kudos