Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority
Jump to solution

Chassis HA in Freeze

We did some failover tests in a Maestro DualSite VSX environment.

After a site failover we saw a state "Chassis HA in freeze" in asg monitor. This state runs a first countdown from 150s and then the site with the higher priority becames active again. A second 150s countdown starts and then asg monitor shows no more the Freeze.

Can someone explain the behaviour ? I understand there is an interval to wait until switch back but nothing found in the documentation.

Maestro_dualSite_freeze.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

This is to prevent flapping between sites. We want to make sure that after a site has come active, it will stay active for the freeze period before failing over again. I'm not sure why this is not in Maestro admin guide. As far as I know the feature works the same way in chassis and Maestro.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

See in the guide: https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81.10/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81.10_Chassis_AdminGuide/Topics-Ch...

Configuring the Failover Freeze Interval

Description

A Standby Chassis cannot failover a second time until the specified failover freeze interval expires.

The default failover freeze interval is:

• For the "Active Up" chassis configuration - 30 seconds

• For the "Primary Up" chassis configuration - 150 seconds

• For VSX

_Val__0-1685538870845.gif

Virtual System Load Sharing (VSLS) configuration - 150 seconds

If the Standby Chassis grade changes to a value greater than the minimum quality grade gap for a failover, the Standby Chassis fails over and becomes a new Active.

The failover does not start until the freeze interval expires. This confirms that the Standby Chassis quality grade is stable, before it becomes a new Active.

For example, a Standby Chassis quality grade can become unstable if a fan speed increases and decreases frequently.

Syntax in Gaia gClish of the Security Group

set chassis high-availability freeze_interval <Freeze Interval>

Parameters

Parameter

Description

<Freeze Interval>

Minimum time in seconds to wait until the next Standby Chassis failover.

Valid range: integer between 1 and 1000.

_Val__1-1685538870846.png

Notes:

• When you run the "asg stat" command after Standby Chassis failover, the output shows the freeze time.

• The <Freeze Interval> value is 5 fold greater, if the setup is configured to work in VSLS or "Primary Up" mode.

Example: If the freeze time must be 250 seconds, you must enter the value 50.

Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

@_Val_ I saw these, but this documentation is "Quantum Scalable Chassis R81.10 Administration Guide". Nothing found in the Maestro Guides.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Let's ask the experts.

@Lari_Luoma@Anatoly  can you please advise?

0 Kudos
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

This is to prevent flapping between sites. We want to make sure that after a site has come active, it will stay active for the freeze period before failing over again. I'm not sure why this is not in Maestro admin guide. As far as I know the feature works the same way in chassis and Maestro.

Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Thanks @Lari_Luoma that‘s what I thought, but I was wondering nothing to find in the Maestro documentation. 

0 Kudos