Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexandruD
Contributor
Jump to solution

open server security gateway licensing

Hello all,

Maybne some of you know or have tested this recently. Regarding open server security gateway licensing, as far as I know, CPU core licensing works such that the number of licensed CPU cores can be smaller than the number of CPU cores the open server has; for example one can have an 8 CPU core licensed security gateway running on a 16 CPU core open server with no issues,meaning the other 8 CPU cores will not be used at all by the security gateway; I am excluding how hyperthreading might affect the CPU core licesing, as far as I know it should be disabled for best performance on open servers. Has this licensing changed in recent times, perhaps in R81.20, such that the licensed CPU cores must exactly match the total number of CPU cores that the open server has?

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You can license less cores than your Open Server has.
However, you will not be able to leverage the full performance of the appliance if you do so. 

View solution in original post

Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Well, won't be able to get the full performance for traffic inspection. The OS will still see and use the other cores (assuming they're enabled in the boot ROM config). If you get a system with ten cores and a license for eight, you can be really sure that even with the firewall passing as much traffic as it can, you'll always have two cores of processor capacity to handle other stuff (e.g, SSH, CPD for pushing policy, and so on).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

From what I can see with eval license, it has not changed. But, to be sure, you can confirm with Account services.

Andy

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You can license less cores than your Open Server has.
However, you will not be able to leverage the full performance of the appliance if you do so. 

Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Well, won't be able to get the full performance for traffic inspection. The OS will still see and use the other cores (assuming they're enabled in the boot ROM config). If you get a system with ten cores and a license for eight, you can be really sure that even with the firewall passing as much traffic as it can, you'll always have two cores of processor capacity to handle other stuff (e.g, SSH, CPD for pushing policy, and so on).

AlexandruD
Contributor

So it always rather helps to actually have more CPU cores available on the open server, than the licensed number of CPU cores for the security gateway.

Thanks

the_rock
Legend
Legend

I would say thats generally true for any CP appliance.

Andy

0 Kudos
AlexandruD
Contributor

That's great.

Thanks

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events