Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imamuzic
Participant
Jump to solution

cpview -t top connections

Hello,

How I can see top connections that consumed CPUs, but not in real-time, but in history, like with 'cpview -t' or similar?

Best Regards,

Igor

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

First off, in real-time (not history mode) the "Top Connections" by Network/CPU screens of cpview will not be populated by default unless you enable them as specified in the following SK, can you currently see Top Connections in real time?  sk167903: CPview Top Connections and Protocols tabs show no data If you can't see them in real time they won't be recorded for history mode.

Another related historical method you would be able to use is running fw ctl multik print_heavy_conn which will show you all identified elephant flows over the last 24 hours.  

Also be aware there is a relatively new tool called top_conns that can also show top connections by CPU usage in real-time: sk172229: Top Connections Tool

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

zoharm
Employee
Employee

"CPU -> Top connections" is not available in cpview history.
@the_rock, are you sure that you are seeing data under "CPU -> Top connections" (and not just the headlines)?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

You can do cpview -t and then hit letter t again and it will ask you to input time frame, example apr 5 2023 15:00:00...then you just keep hitting + to see the history. Not sure how far it can go back, but R&D told me last year thats automatically calculated, so you can try different dates.

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
imamuzic
Participant

Thanks, but I already know that 🙂 What I would like to achieve is to get "Top Connections" view in history mode, but as you can see Top-Connections is empty in 'cpview -t'.

cpview_minus_t.png

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

First off, in real-time (not history mode) the "Top Connections" by Network/CPU screens of cpview will not be populated by default unless you enable them as specified in the following SK, can you currently see Top Connections in real time?  sk167903: CPview Top Connections and Protocols tabs show no data If you can't see them in real time they won't be recorded for history mode.

Another related historical method you would be able to use is running fw ctl multik print_heavy_conn which will show you all identified elephant flows over the last 24 hours.  

Also be aware there is a relatively new tool called top_conns that can also show top connections by CPU usage in real-time: sk172229: Top Connections Tool

imamuzic
Participant

Thank you on your reply...

Top-connections in real time cpview are already enabled (by default) since my gateways are on R81.10 and I can see them, but there is no top-connections in history (cpview -t). So, I'm not sure if this is expected behavior?

Regards,

Igor

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Hmm I can't recall if the cpview Top Connections by CPU or Bandwidth data is available in the cpview history database.  My guess would be no, but let me tag the owner of cpview @Arik_Ovtracht for a clarification. 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Appears it is there.

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Yes but is there any data actually on that screen in history mode?  Also what code and Jumbo level is that?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

There is data, even in R81.10 jumbo 94. One I tested is R81.20 jumbo 8.

Andy

imamuzic
Participant

Hm...I checked with another customer (R81.10 Jumbo 30) and there is also no any data from Top-Connections tab in cpview -t. The one that I reported the problem initially is currently on R81.10 Jumbo 81 (also without data)... Maybe I will update to Jumbo 94 as you confirmed that you see the data with this r81.10 Jumbo.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

You may wish to confirm with TAC, but I definitely see it working in my lab.

0 Kudos
zoharm
Employee
Employee

"CPU -> Top connections" is not available in cpview history.
@the_rock, are you sure that you are seeing data under "CPU -> Top connections" (and not just the headlines)?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Im pretty sure, will double check when I get home.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Yup, apologies, it was just the headlines, I did not examine it properly beforehand, my bad.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events