Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeeBingKang
Advisor
Jump to solution

The main use of "Enabling IPv6" in GAIA portal

Hi all,

Recently, I saw there is an option about IPv6 support, and I'm wondering if the security gateway will not accept all the incoming IPv6 packet if it still in "Off" status? Is the firewall will have additional feature if I turn it on?

image.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The checkbox in the Gaia WebUI enables the IPv6 network stack and kernel modules relevant to securing IPv6 traffic.
Without this, no IPv6 traffic will pass.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

IPv6 is automatically enabled, if you configure IPv6 addresses in the Gaia First Time Configuration Wizard.

If you did not configure IPv6 addresses, you can manually enable the IPv6 support in Gaia later when needed.

Source: https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81_Installation_and_Upgrade_Guide/Top...

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
LeeBingKang
Advisor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Is the firewall won't inspect and auto drop those ipv6 packet if we didn't enable the IPv6 support on the firewall?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

After enabling, IPv6 support is not available until you reboot.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
LeeBingKang
Advisor

Dear Chris,

I understand that IPv6 support is not available until you reboot. 

However, I wonder if there is any ipv6 packet pass through a firewall which didn't enable IPv6 support, will packet dropped directly without inspection or how?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

How would they route/forward traffic if the configuration and interfaces are not set?

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
LeeBingKang
Advisor

Okay. I got your point now whererby firewall can't handle any ipv6 related traffics if the IPv6 support no "ON".

Thank you.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The checkbox in the Gaia WebUI enables the IPv6 network stack and kernel modules relevant to securing IPv6 traffic.
Without this, no IPv6 traffic will pass.

0 Kudos
LeeBingKang
Advisor

HI PhoneBoy,

Thank you for your feedback and I'm getting clearer about the use of the "IPv6 support" in the Gaia portal now. 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events