cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sushantjoshi
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot Export

Do we need to export snapshot to our laptop before we do a hotfix or while doing some major upgrades ? 

Is it a good practice to take a snapshot and export a copy of it as well ? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
the_rock
Legend
Legend

It is good practise, but I personally dont do snapshot, as its generated automatically when doing major upgrades. I find backup is good enough.

Here is something I always do as well...from clish, it generated txt file with config.

something like this from expert:

clish -c "show configuration" > /var/log/config_whateverdate.txt

So say your host name is fw01 and date is June 25th 2024, I would run -> clish -c "show configuration" > /var/log/config_fw01_June25_2024.txt

Then, if need be, you can simply reload it from clish later -> load configuration /var/log/filename

Hope that helps.

Andy

View solution in original post

3 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

It is good practise, but I personally dont do snapshot, as its generated automatically when doing major upgrades. I find backup is good enough.

Here is something I always do as well...from clish, it generated txt file with config.

something like this from expert:

clish -c "show configuration" > /var/log/config_whateverdate.txt

So say your host name is fw01 and date is June 25th 2024, I would run -> clish -c "show configuration" > /var/log/config_fw01_June25_2024.txt

Then, if need be, you can simply reload it from clish later -> load configuration /var/log/filename

Hope that helps.

Andy

the_rock
Legend
Legend

@sushantjoshi 

Forgot to mention, if you ever need to do that load configuration method from clish, please do below command first, as it essentially forces the firewall to stop the import IF there is an issue it recognizes, after you can check the txt config file, look at the line it complains and then fix it, try reimport again.

clish -> set clienv on-failure stop -> save config

Andy

emmap
Employee
Employee

You don't have to export the snapshot to use it, it's selectable from the boot menu if you need it. If the gateway dies so hard that you can't even get to the boot menu, you're probably better off manually rebuilding it from a USB stick and then just configuring it manually (make sure you have a copy of your gateway configuration).

If it's a management server you should already have backups being taken regularly and stored off the box, so that's your restore path if you need to manually rebuild it.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events